Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: www.xclan.org -- front page

www.xclan.org -- front page

<rant>

So is it just me or is the new front page really annoying? Maybe it's a minor thing, but I hate having to wait the extra split second waiting for the Latest Forum Topics table to load, and spend another half second scrolling down to it. No one's ever given a shit about the 'news' section on the front page; it's (traditionally) hardly ever updated anyway. Put the forums back on top, I say. That's why people come here.

And what's with the stifling of the Political B.S. forum? No longer do threads from that forum appear on the front page. Now, I can understand not having the AC forum threads appearing on the front page, but why not the political forums? Every couple months or so, it seems like the political threads are discouraged and instead we're left with these boring, generic threads that get maybe one or two replies. Whether you like them or not, the political/religious threads tend to be the most popular threads, going on for pages and pages. Sure, they make for some bad blood between certain members, but hey, at least there's a good reason to come to the forums.

And I may be wrong here, but it seems like certain political threads are being deleted? For example, the recent thread that Meat posted in response to Method's "Commissioned by the Bush administration..." thread simply vanished as soon as I made a reply to it. I'm not exactly sure what happened to it, but perhaps it was deleted by a certain forums admin?

If so, was that simply because it was a political thread and maybe offensive to whoever deleted it? Or maybe because it was posted in the Random Thoughts forum instead of in the proper political forum? If the latter is the case, then it should have been MOVED to the proper forum, not deleted.

Then again, I could be wrong and it could be a simple error on the part of the BBS or Meat himself deleted the thread .... but for now I'm just going to assume it was the Forum Nazis.

(p.s. the musician that Meat linked to in his post is frickin' awesome. Fella by the name of Dan Deacon [www.dandeacon.com], check him out, he's rad!)

So, but 'em back! And stop fuckin' shit up!

</rant>

Images
    Here Here I liked the latest forums at the top much better.

As for the deletion of the Policical posts, umm aren't those forums so people can express their opinions and feelings about issues? Deleting them because you disagree or don't like what is going on isn't right, quit trying to silence our voice damn it! Freedom of Speech baby!
    jedi.turk
    my force is in you

Quote Originally Posted by cosyg
    <rant>

So is it just me or is the new front page really annoying? Maybe it's a minor thing, but I hate having to wait the extra split second waiting for the Latest Forum Topics table to load, and spend another half second scrolling down to it. No one's ever given a shit about the 'news' section on the front page; it's (traditionally) hardly ever updated anyway. Put the forums back on top, I say. That's why people come here.

And what's with the stifling of the Political B.S. forum? No longer do threads from that forum appear on the front page. Now, I can understand not having the AC forum threads appearing on the front page, but why not the political forums? Every couple months or so, it seems like the political threads are discouraged and instead we're left with these boring, generic threads that get maybe one or two replies. Whether you like them or not, the political/religious threads tend to be the most popular threads, going on for pages and pages. Sure, they make for some bad blood between certain members, but hey, at least there's a good reason to come to the forums.

And I may be wrong here, but it seems like certain political threads are being deleted? For example, the recent thread that Meat posted in response to Method's "Commissioned by the Bush administration..." thread simply vanished as soon as I made a reply to it. I'm not exactly sure what happened to it, but perhaps it was deleted by a certain forums admin?

If so, was that simply because it was a political thread and maybe offensive to whoever deleted it? Or maybe because it was posted in the Random Thoughts forum instead of in the proper political forum? If the latter is the case, then it should have been MOVED to the proper forum, not deleted.

Then again, I could be wrong and it could be a simple error on the part of the BBS or Meat himself deleted the thread .... but for now I'm just going to assume it was the Forum Nazis.

(p.s. the musician that Meat linked to in his post is frickin' awesome. Fella by the name of Dan Deacon [www.dandeacon.com], check him out, he's rad!)

So, but 'em back! And stop fuckin' shit up!

</rant>

^^
    everything he just said.
    I left for a couple weeks and came back to this new style.
    Me no likey.
    OMGHI2U!

Images
    Small industry secret, you can bookmark http://www.xclan.org/forums/index.php? and skip the front page altogether.

And the political forum is a thorn in our side. There's a reason we corraled all you activists in there... because these are gaming forums. Everyone I've talked to doesn't wanna waste their time watching meat and gunsafety fling handfulls of shit at eachother.

As far as over moderation, it's not me. No idea there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[gizmo]
    Small industry secret, you can bookmark http://www.xclan.org/forums/index.php? and skip the front page altogether.

And the political forum is a thorn in our side. There's a reason we corraled all you activists in there... because these are gaming forums. Everyone I've talked to doesn't wanna waste their time watching meat and gunsafety fling handfulls of shit at eachother.

Are those two ruffians still at it?

I don't frequent this page anymore but I wasn't too fond of the forums getting bumped down.

Quote Originally Posted by x[gizmo]
    No good. Manually navigating through each forum is a pain, and clicking New Posts -- aside from making you wait through a search page -- only returns what your cookies say you haven't read already. The forums index just simply doesn't function like the Latest Forums Threads on the front page.

Plus, the front page has those nifty news links to Slashdot and Warp2Search, which are much better for gaming/tech news than the front page news section.
    The "these are gaming forums" sentiment comes up from the seniors every couple of months or so and the politcal threads get quashed ..... and then the BBS goes dead. There just doesn't seem to be a whole hell of a lot going on in gaming lately (seems like a lot of people are still playing CS and WC3, which says something..). There's always something to argue about in politics. I think watching Meat and Guns talk shit to each other is fun (more fun than 90% of the games that have come out in the last year )
    Liar! WHO ARE YOU PROTECTING?!

Images
    Yeah but the front page always had news and latest posts. We just reversed the order so people would actually read the news. I don't think it's changed much more than that. Same load time, if not quicker with the new hardware.

The Political forum, active as it may be, is still a thorn in our side anyway you slice it. The focus of this community isn't politics, and when that forum gets going it quickly pushes posts from the Last 20. People who check the political forum can just take 5 seconds and two extra clicks and do it manually.

Images
    You both have points.

Forum layout. Somewhat forces people to read the news. It's being updated by Jon almost daily now and people actually view it since it's above what they really came here for. IMO, I didn't like it at first, cause I NEVER cared for the news.. But now, since it's the first thing I see.. I think it's a good thing it's up top.

Not displaying Political B.S forum on the front page. Where it's a part of our community, there's times when the less significant topics, such as; "Mod HL2 so you can have sex and position that one chick's body" get pushed off the list due to Political B.S that 3/4 the members care not about. People still would like to see and comment on the "other" threads, but never see it cause they're gone relatively quick.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but it seems that there's more people that don't give a crap about the Political shit flinging than there is those that do.

Don't get me wrong, I visit the Political B.S. Forum. When I want to laugh at some really ignorant statements, I'll take the extra steps and visit the Political B.S. forum :P

I think the forums are getting a lot less activity after those changes.

Like my x[lan] chops got like 1 or 2 posts... wtf.

Images
    I believe the changes to the front page were put into effect on April 11th 2005. Here's some statistics 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after the changes were made. April 11th was not included in the sums because view would have been mixed

User Actiivty Before: 1661
    User Activity After: 1604

New Threads Before: 131
    New Threads After: 132

References below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UserActivity.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	687.7 KB 
ID:	3662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewPost.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	571.2 KB 
ID:	3663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewThread.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	550.4 KB 
ID:	3664  

Images
    I still dont read the news now that its "up top" you are just making me use the wheel

Images
    Game Set Match

Images

hah

That poll could be flawed/lopsided.

I believe the changes to the front page were put into effect on April 11th 2005. Here's some statistics 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after the changes were made. April 11th was not included in the sums because view would have been mixed

April 11th is following a lan, in which the 2 weeks prior include the 2 days of a lan, in which few posts were created, while following many were enacted responding simply to the lan, let alone all of the other posts/issues that had been waiting to be posted about but were at the lan itself. Could be no difference though, since lan was 8-10, some nerdy people such as Chibi and Teamrsx that went home simply to play more dota (hehe, I wanted to but my computer was broken), could still have been checking the x clan forums as it were.

Personally I like news below. :( Other than possibly information of the next lan which I could still catch from the "most recent posts," there is yet to be any news of interest to me.

Images
    I'm just spitting out numbers you wouldn't have access to. I wasn't making a point in either direction.

Hell, the differences in posts/thread #'s might not even be related to how the forum layout is.. I could have been the fact that the moon was full, or not..

The difference in posts made could have been because of Aries :P

Goddamn post whore.
    Last edited by x[chongo]; 04-26-2005 at 11:21 AM.

Images
    This new format forces unaccpetible use of my scrolling finger !!
    Good lord are there no good games to play?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[chongo]
    I'm just spitting out numbers you wouldn't have access to. I wasn't making a point in either direction.

Hell, the differences in posts/thread #'s might not even be related to how the forum layout is.. I could have been the fact that the moon was full, or not..

The difference in posts made could have been because of Aries :P

Goddamn post whore.

I've been ultra busy and lacking in my annoying skills of post whore, I shall try harder.

No one likes change, that's just a fact. I should say some do, and in this case maybe a vote would be in order? It could be a non, "you know who voted type of vote", or we can just keep this as a dictatorship. Either way I think either way is fine; people still know where they have to go, even if it takes an extra millisecond to figure it out.
    I am Arthur King of the Britainís! The Bitainís? Who are the Bitains? I thought we were an autonomous collective!

Images
    give us better ideas for the space

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[sliver]
    give us better ideas for the space
    pr0n

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard
    pr0n

Agreed.

I vote for Chongo's Mom :) or kbot and the sheep? Both of which I like.

That is all.
    The Only Poem a Man should evar know!

Women
    Sometimes I hate Um
    Sometimes I love Um
    If I were a cave man I think I'd just club Um!

:Beat_Them

Twitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by x[cavyr]
    Agreed.

I vote for Chongo's Mom :) or kbot and the sheep? Both of which I like.

That is all.
    You must have seen her in RL or pics of her cause you're right on the money Cavyr.

Thread Information