Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: More RIAA Bitching & Moaning.....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1

    More RIAA Bitching & Moaning.....

    Your Rights Online: Recordable Media a Bigger Threat Than Filesharing?


    Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Monday August 15, @03:48PM
    from the everyday-evil dept.
    Matilda the Hun writes "The Register is reporting on the RIAA claims that recordable media is more of a source of piracy than P2P networks. From the article: 'The RIAA's chief executive, Mitch Bainwol, last week said music fans acquire almost twice as many songs from illegally duplicated CDs as from unauthorized downloads, Associated Press reports. According to Bainwol, in turn citing figures from market watcher NPD, 29 per cent of the recorded music obtained by listeners last year came from content copied onto recordable media. Only 16 per cent came from illegal downloads.'"



    What now, CD/DVD RW's become illigal

    DRM enabled CD and DVD players required to play music/movies?

    farking aye!

    i was purchasing all my music through iTunes, but now i'm considering piracy again, just cause these a-holes piss me off.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine
    Posts
    1,085
    Images
    1
    yarrrrrrrrrr pirate the land lover's musak yarrrrrrr
    jedi.turk
    my force is in you

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    590
    Images
    4
    I'm gonna go off my self due to extreme guilt.

    "You know what grinds my gears? You RIAA. Fuck you!" -What Peter Griffin shoulda said.
    :notworkin

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    4,297
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard
    What now, CD/DVD RW's become illigal

    DRM enabled CD and DVD players required to play music/movies?

    farking aye!

    i was purchasing all my music through iTunes, but now i'm considering piracy again, just cause these a-holes piss me off.

    The funny thing is those socialist European nations, who like to rip off the rich and give to the poor, are charging a royalty on all computer storage items, from CDs to hard drives. The reasoning behind that is basically "people have to pay their fair share" when it comes to digitized media.

    Imagine paying $1 per CD or $120 for a 40GB drive.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

    -- Sledge Hammer

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[con]
    The funny thing is those socialist European nations, who like to rip off the rich and give to the poor, are charging a royalty on all computer storage items, from CDs to hard drives. The reasoning behind that is basically "people have to pay their fair share" when it comes to digitized media.

    Imagine paying $1 per CD or $120 for a 40GB drive.

    but then it becomes extremly unfair, i work for an apparel company, we have several artists who burn cd's/dvd's w/ art, about 1 a day gets burned to send to a printer or it gets put on my ftp server, which has over 300 gigs of space because one illustrator and photochop files are huge, my file servers have 250gb of space dedicated to office documents and to have to pay "a fair share" for work we are paying employees to do us straight up BS!

    at home i purchase music from iTunes, i love iTunes, its easy it works and i burn CD's for my car, i've already paid my fair share through the iTunes service agreement, i can burn as many cd's for "Personal Use"... which can include giving to my friends since they are my personal friends and i want them to have the CD right!?

    i dunno, i just see the RIAA causing more shit down the road


    do they really pay that premium on storage media in EU?!
    shit!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine
    Posts
    1,085
    Images
    1
    some rich person should make a free download server for mp3s. They buy all the legal copies or whatever, and then provide them to the public for free, at least requiring a sign up to the site. That would show the RIAA!!! If I had the money to do it I would :-p
    jedi.turk
    my force is in you

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk
    some rich person should make a free download server for mp3s. They buy all the legal copies or whatever, and then provide them to the public for free, at least requiring a sign up to the site. That would show the RIAA!!! If I had the money to do it I would :-p
    itunes only allows the the mp4 to be on 3 computers, unlimited # of CD's can be made and it can be placed on an unlimited # of iPods

    some people here at work actually dont even have PC's at home but they have iPods, they come to me to update thier lists (the music's on my laptop, not a company pc)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Eglin AFB, FL
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard
    itunes only allows the the mp4 to be on 3 computers, unlimited # of CD's can be made and it can be placed on an unlimited # of iPods

    some people here at work actually dont even have PC's at home but they have iPods, they come to me to update thier lists (the music's on my laptop, not a company pc)
    There is software that changes the mp4 -> mp3 like jhymn l
    Friend's Don't Let Friend's Be Homo

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    santa barbara
    Posts
    1,839
    Images
    7
    Might as well pirate as long as you can imo. why pay when you can get it for free is how i see it. ya karma's probably gunna bite me in the ass eventually, but hey, to have all the shit I have music wise etc games id have to be a whole lot more wealthy and im just not

    x[bouncy]
    "The devil grows inside the hearts of the selfish and wicked... White brown yellow and black color is not restricted... You have a self destructive destiny when your inflicted... And you'll be one of gods children that fell from the top... Theres no diversity because were burning in the melting pot... So when the devil wants to dance with you, you better say never cause a dance with the devil might last you forever..."

    -Immortal Technique

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    4,297
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard
    do they really pay that premium on storage media in EU?!
    shit!
    You bet. The European courts upheld RIAA's (maybe a Euro version of it) lawsuit claiming people should pay the artists who produce these intellectual properties by paying for the storage media they record them onto. I don't know where the surcharge goes to because they are not going to the companies who manufacture those media (WD, TDK, Maxtor...etc).
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

    -- Sledge Hammer

  11. #11
    Canada pays a similar tax. the RIAA. If people would just boycott their shiite, they'd shut up real quick

    Btw, Riaa Radar is supposed to tell you if something was made by the RIAA, but I think it may have been taken over by evil. It lists sony as being "safe" while there are over a dozen "sony"'s on the RIAA member list.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[bouncy]
    Might as well pirate as long as you can imo. why pay when you can get it for free is how i see it. ya karma's probably gunna bite me in the ass eventually, but hey, to have all the shit I have music wise etc games id have to be a whole lot more wealthy and im just not

    x[bouncy]

    the thing is you should pay for music, i never found it fair to pay 17 bux for a cd when i only wanted 1 song... 99c for 1 song, i consider fair, especially since i have the right to burn it to a cd and slap it on my mp3 player (even though i dont approve of the iPod only policy)

    and i definatly dont approve of paying a premium for media that i most likley will have data that either i've already paid for or i created myself


    fuck the RIAA in the ass sideways w/ no lube, bitches!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    817
    http://www.metropolis-records.com < RIAA safe, and all available on iTunes. Hooray for goth/darkwave/industrial/ebm/synthpop whatever :P
    - Insert Left Wing Slogan Here -

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Anaheim, Southern California
    Posts
    2,519
    Images
    1
    I don't know if you guys realize the extent of stealing music.

    I can tell you how iTunes works as far as business is concerned because my company works with several artists in music and they told us what they make from iTunes. You see, after Itunes takes it's huge cut of the music, the record company then takes a pretty good chunck and then the credit card company or paypal takes a chunk. Do you guys know what the average big name artists walk away with after all that? Let me tell you it's not 50 cents, or a quarter even, it's fucking 0-4 cents a song. Yep, iTunes sure has a sweet deal there.

    The reason some things are expensive like software, music, games, (x[bouncy]) is because people steal them. It's kind of like demanding TV without any commercials, which most of us do with our DVRs' anyway. If there were no TV commercials you bet your sweet asses you'd be paying a lot more for that cable. It's that or you just wouldn't have that much programming because there would be no way to pay for satellites', TV stations, etcetera.

    The industry is moving in new ways and in the near future all TV will be internet based anyway, and it will be content driven with 15-30 second interstitials by you guessed it... Advertisers!
    I am Arthur King of the Britainís! The Bitainís? Who are the Bitains? I thought we were an autonomous collective!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    4,297
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by x[aries]
    Let me tell you it's not 50 cents, or a quarter even, it's fucking 0-4 cents a song.
    They make about as much from signing with the record labels. The difference here is WE get to choose what to buy and what not to buy. I do not want to pay $17 for 14 shitty songs and 1 good song when I can pay $17 for 17 songs that I really want from different artists.

    It's just a different way to do business. Artists make about the same amount. We get more for our $17. Record labels can go fuck themselves.

    Ever noticed that when Microsoft includes a bunch of software along with their OS it's called "bundling" and they were sued for that? But when record labels bundle a bunch of shit that no one wants it's for the "good" of the artists and completely legal.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

    -- Sledge Hammer

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    925
    Images
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by x[gunsafety]
    http://www.metropolis-records.com < RIAA safe, and all available on iTunes. Hooray for goth/darkwave/industrial/ebm/synthpop whatever :P
    asian goth chicks mmmmmm...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    5,161
    Images
    1261
    Quote Originally Posted by x[aries]
    The industry is moving in new ways and in the near future all TV will be internet based anyway, and it will be content driven with 15-30 second interstitials by you guessed it... Advertisers!
    wtf is an "Interstitial" ?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Anaheim, Southern California
    Posts
    2,519
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[con]
    They make about as much from signing with the record labels. The difference here is WE get to choose what to buy and what not to buy. I do not want to pay $17 for 14 shitty songs and 1 good song when I can pay $17 for 17 songs that I really want from different artists.

    It's just a different way to do business. Artists make about the same amount. We get more for our $17. Record labels can go fuck themselves.

    Ever noticed that when Microsoft includes a bunch of software along with their OS it's called "bundling" and they were sued for that? But when record labels bundle a bunch of shit that no one wants it's for the "good" of the artists and completely legal.

    Hey bro,

    The DON'T make about the same. How do you equate 0-4 cents as the making ABOUT the same?

    And I agree with you that you pay for the songs you actually want. I remember years ago when The Wherehouse records would let you record a tape cassette the same way, by lettting you choose whatever songs you want. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I am stating that they are butt fucking the artists hard core at 0-4 cents a song whether you believe it or not.

    The artists make more money on the road doing concerts and selling T-Shirts and liscensing their music so you can hear Queens "We will rock you" at fucking ball parks.

    Peace and pieces.
    I am Arthur King of the Britainís! The Bitainís? Who are the Bitains? I thought we were an autonomous collective!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Anaheim, Southern California
    Posts
    2,519
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[chongo]
    wtf is an "Interstitial" ?

    Whoa, easy there turbo. I sometimes forget that when I speak "ad speak" I am not talking to marketing guys.

    Here you go...

    Interstitial



    <World-Wide Web> A World-Wide Web page that appears before
    the expected content page. Interstitials can be used for
    advertising (intermercial, transition ad) or to confirm that
    the user is old enough to view the requested page, etc..


    Basically it's a pre-rolled commercial before you are allowed to see the video content that you wish to see. It can also be inserted in between multiple videos that you wish to view on a site. Just like you see on Yahoo, CNET CNN etcetera before you see the video.
    I am Arthur King of the Britainís! The Bitainís? Who are the Bitains? I thought we were an autonomous collective!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    5,161
    Images
    1261
    Whoa there turbo!!!1!

    Thanks for the clarification.

    So, in conclusion, an interstitial is an internet annoyance.. gotcha! :P

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Riaa ...
    By MeatMan in forum Random Thoughts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 03:01 AM
  2. bitching
    By Mike The Llama God in forum FPS Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 09:10 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-05-2001, 01:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •