Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: More RIAA Bitching & Moaning.....

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[con]
    They make about as much from signing with the record labels. The difference here is WE get to choose what to buy and what not to buy. I do not want to pay $17 for 14 shitty songs and 1 good song when I can pay $17 for 17 songs that I really want from different artists.

    It's just a different way to do business. Artists make about the same amount. We get more for our $17. Record labels can go fuck themselves.

    Ever noticed that when Microsoft includes a bunch of software along with their OS it's called "bundling" and they were sued for that? But when record labels bundle a bunch of shit that no one wants it's for the "good" of the artists and completely legal.
    they dont make any more money from the $17 CD either, 1/2 of that goes to the retailer, 1/4 goes to the distributer, and after the record company's done w/ it, the artists get about 50 cents... same w/ itunes, the credit card processor gets thier %age, itunes probably keystones it, like every other retailer, so they get 1/2 of the gross and the rest is given to the other companies involved.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[masta-wong]
    asian goth chicks mmmmmm...
    where?!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Anaheim, Southern California
    Posts
    2,519
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[chongo]
    Whoa there turbo!!!1!

    Thanks for the clarification.

    So, in conclusion, an interstitial is an internet annoyance.. gotcha! :P

    That allows you to get video for free. If they didn't have them you would be paying up the wazoo to get a chance to watch video because no one produces good movies, TV, and video for free. It's called capitalizm.

    End of story TURBO!
    I am Arthur King of the Britainís! The Bitainís? Who are the Bitains? I thought we were an autonomous collective!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1
    capitolist pigs!

  5. #25
    I keep hearing this "I don't wanna pay x number of dollars for x number of shitty songs and 1 or 2 good ones"

    How about actually listening to artists who put out LOTS of good songs?

    You know, there are other acts out there besides what MTV and Clear Channel give us....

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyg
    I keep hearing this "I don't wanna pay x number of dollars for x number of shitty songs and 1 or 2 good ones"

    How about actually listening to artists who put out LOTS of good songs?

    You know, there are other acts out there besides what MTV and Clear Channel give us....

    yes, but some of us are too lazy to make an effort

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    4,297
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by x[aries]
    Hey bro,

    The DON'T make about the same. How do you equate 0-4 cents as the making ABOUT the same?
    I think you misunderstood what I meant.

    The artists make about the same selling their songs either through iTunes or record labels, about 4 cents a song. It's just that in a CD format, they sell 15 at a time while in the iTune format they sell 1 at a time.

    The thing is people are more willing to buy individual songs they want vs. buying a whole CD full of shit. In the end, they make about the same amount since they sell more good singles to make up for the lack of volume from bundled songs.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

    -- Sledge Hammer

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Anaheim, Southern California
    Posts
    2,519
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[con]
    I think you misunderstood what I meant.

    The artists make about the same selling their songs either through iTunes or record labels, about 4 cents a song. It's just that in a CD format, they sell 15 at a time while in the iTune format they sell 1 at a time.

    The thing is people are more willing to buy individual songs they want vs. buying a whole CD full of shit. In the end, they make about the same amount since they sell more good singles to make up for the lack of volume from bundled songs.

    I understand your point. The do however make 15-25 cents per song on their cds'. I also agree with you about the bundling of music dealio. You have to remember too that the credit card company's charge a minimal transaction fee of about 20-30 cents a pop. If you only buy one song at a time, and each artist is charged separately, even though you buy multiple artists' songs when you go to iTunes the artists' still get butt fucked hard core because of the credit card fee as opposed to buying a whole albulm.

    You do make some good points con. I agree you should pick only the songs you want. I think the price is too cheap though. Especially if it's a really good song.

    Peace
    I am Arthur King of the Britainís! The Bitainís? Who are the Bitains? I thought we were an autonomous collective!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    3,428
    Images
    60
    As a music artist myself, I do it for the people, not for the profit

    I mean can you really put a price on slapping your belly and mumbling at the top of your lungs?!?!?

    If I can entertain 1 person with belly smacking and yelping, I see my work as an acomplishment.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[aries]
    I understand your point. The do however make 15-25 cents per song on their cds'. I also agree with you about the bundling of music dealio. You have to remember too that the credit card company's charge a minimal transaction fee of about 20-30 cents a pop. If you only buy one song at a time, and each artist is charged separately, even though you buy multiple artists' songs when you go to iTunes the artists' still get butt fucked hard core because of the credit card fee as opposed to buying a whole albulm.

    You do make some good points con. I agree you should pick only the songs you want. I think the price is too cheap though. Especially if it's a really good song.

    Peace



    that's not totally true, i sometimes buy about 10 diffrent songs at a time, and its not 10 99 cent charges, its 1 charge for $9.91 on my credit card.

    the price isnt too cheap, the price is right, i wouldnt dish out a cent more, i'm sure apple and their credit card processor have worked out a deal of some sort to make it profitable for both companies.

    and who is to dictate what song is good and what song isnt?!
    i fucking hate mexican ranchero music but my neighbor seems to love it, and they arent a big fan of jay-z and tupac.... if a song is good, more people will buy it, so instead of sellign 20 songs they sell 20000 songs, and make a profit that way.
    Last edited by biohazard; 08-18-2005 at 02:03 PM.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Anaheim, Southern California
    Posts
    2,519
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard
    that's not totally true, i sometimes buy about 10 diffrent songs at a time, and its not 10 99 cent charges, its 1 charge for $9.91 on my credit card.

    the price isnt too cheap, the price is right, i wouldnt dish out a cent more, i'm sure apple and their credit card processor have worked out a deal of some sort to make it profitable for both companies.

    and who is to dictate what song is good and what song isnt?!
    i fucking hate mexican ranchero music but my neighbor seems to love it, and they arent a big fan of jay-z and tupac.... if a song is good, more people will buy it, so instead of sellign 20 songs they sell 20000 songs, and make a profit that way.

    It is totally true because the credit card company charges the band for the transaction fee not the person buying it on a per transaction basis. Let's say if you go to one bands site, and you buy lets say 10 of their songs in one pop then they aren't hit with that minimal transaction fee, as opposed to 1 song each time you visit or 10 visits per buy then the artists lose out.

    Let's say I am an artist and I sell my own music on my own website and it's really good music and I wish to sell it for a $1.49. You mean to tell me you won't pay one penny more the 99 cents? Then I say fine, no song for you.

    With your kind of thinking the price of items will never go up. Cars will always average 25K, cigs will be $3.50 as well for the remainder of your life? If something is wanted then it's value is increased.
    I am Arthur King of the Britainís! The Bitainís? Who are the Bitains? I thought we were an autonomous collective!

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[aries]
    It is totally true because the credit card company charges the band for the transaction fee not the person buying it on a per transaction basis. Let's say if you go to one bands site, and you buy lets say 10 of their songs in one pop then they aren't hit with that minimal transaction fee, as opposed to 1 song each time you visit or 10 visits per buy then the artists lose out.

    Let's say I am an artist and I sell my own music on my own website and it's really good music and I wish to sell it for a $1.49. You mean to tell me you won't pay one penny more the 99 cents? Then I say fine, no song for you.

    With your kind of thinking the price of items will never go up. Cars will always average 25K, cigs will be $3.50 as well for the remainder of your life? If something is wanted then it's value is increased.


    i deal w/ retail credit card processors, they charge a % of the total charge, if the charge is for 10 bucks, they its 2.946% of the 10 bucks... there is a minimum charge but its something like 10 cents

    if an artist is selling music for 1.49, i'm going to pirate tha bitch, not that i wont get it, just that they wont get my 99 cents or my buck 49

    if something is wanted, a fair market value is created, right now, FMV for a single download song is 99 cents, as soon as that changes it'll probably change across the board... i didnt take any economics classes, but i do know that much
    if you try to charge 1.49, you'll piss people off, its one thing if its gas and you have no choice because you need to get to work, its another if its a song... that's one of the reason's i havent gone to the movies after 5pm in a year, i aint paying 10 bucks for tickets!

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    santa barbara
    Posts
    1,839
    Images
    7
    ya but aries personally i think the record labels and the riaa type things fuck the artist more then the people that download it illegally. ever notice how bands that play small venues sell their cds for like 5 dollars a pop, its cause they made there own instead of having some big label. Ya they probably arent mainstream but I bet they made a whole lot more of that 5 dollar cd then some big name made off their 17 dollar cd. I figure im just fucking them as bad as the people that should be helping them.

    ohh and i dont think the credit card company charges the band the fee aries they charge apple the transaction fee which apple then slaps onto the cost of the song you buy thats why it is a dollar. would just be my understanding thats why place say you must spend 5 dollars or more at a time to use a cc sometimes


    x[bouncy]
    Last edited by x[bouncy]; 08-19-2005 at 01:21 AM.
    "The devil grows inside the hearts of the selfish and wicked... White brown yellow and black color is not restricted... You have a self destructive destiny when your inflicted... And you'll be one of gods children that fell from the top... Theres no diversity because were burning in the melting pot... So when the devil wants to dance with you, you better say never cause a dance with the devil might last you forever..."

    -Immortal Technique

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Riaa ...
    By MeatMan in forum Random Thoughts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 03:01 AM
  2. bitching
    By Mike The Llama God in forum FPS Gaming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 09:10 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-05-2001, 01:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •