Thread: Dell FTW...or not

Dell FTW...or not

This is why you shouldn't buy a Dell. At least it comes with AOL pre-installed for teh n00bz

Stupid article.

Doesnt prove shit... Dell makes good computers, if your a gamer and really want to game... then you should buy your own shit and build a computer yourself.

If you dont know how, then Dell is the easiest and most affordable on the market... almost everyone at work plays on a Dell and has no problems. And its easy to clean up all the BS that dell pre-loads.

Images
    i have a dell, im on it right now, and it pwns most of ur guys cpu, well i switched out most the parts, but i dont have any problems with it, i only have 1 hd, 160gb, but i dont need that much space. besides that max, i bet my cpu would pwn urs.
    "i want you to take the frankenstein, the bling, AND the bling bling, and roll it up into a joint"

People's Republik of Kalifornia in the Great US Banana Republik
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[rsx]
    i have a dell, im on it right now, and it pwns most of ur guys cpu, well i switched out most the parts, but i dont have any problems with it, i only have 1 hd, 160gb, but i dont need that much space. besides that max, i bet my cpu would pwn urs.
    Well, since it's a Dell, and you didn't say you changed your Motherboard...so that means you have an Intel Processor.
    Since you have an Intel processor, you already loose.
    My boxed A64 3200+ would beat your P4, and now since it's humming along at 2.6Ghz (from 2.0Ghz) at 30C, it's easy to say that it's faster than any Intel processor has and will have until they change to their new CPU's.

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images
    I knew about Dell's bloatware years ago. I bought an Inspiron 600m 2 years ago and the first thing I did was format the hard drive after I got it. I have never booted up the Dell stuff that came with it. This laptop (1.3GHz) is actually faster than a brand new Inspiron 700m running at 2GHz (feel wise, not bench mark). Incidentally the 600m is the only model from 2 years ago still being sold by Dell. All the other models from that time have been phased out.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[killdozer]
    Well, since it's a Dell, and you didn't say you changed your Motherboard...so that means you have an Intel Processor.
    Since you have an Intel processor, you already loose.
    My boxed A64 3200+ would beat your P4, and now since it's humming along at 2.6Ghz (from 2.0Ghz) at 30C, it's easy to say that it's faster than any Intel processor has and will have until they change to their new CPU's.
    yea well my cpu can handle pong....can yours?
    "i want you to take the frankenstein, the bling, AND the bling bling, and roll it up into a joint"

Well some of these nifty 2.8ghz dells look great and are fast, but come with no AGP slot. Why would a fast computer like that NOT have one?

Every other computer comes standard with it.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by x[phelpz]
    Stupid article.

Doesnt prove shit... Dell makes good computers, if your a gamer and really want to game... then you should buy your own shit and build a computer yourself.

If you dont know how, then Dell is the easiest and most affordable on the market... almost everyone at work plays on a Dell and has no problems. And its easy to clean up all the BS that dell pre-loads.
    I can tell you from my company experience, Dell makes pretty good stuff. We have no complaints where I work, whatsoever. Incredibly stable. Severs are good too.

I wouldn't have one for a high-end gaming PC, but only because I'm especially anal about my control over BIOS functions.
    Hell is--other people!

Images
    The article proves that dell may make good hardware. But the bloatware they pre-install cripples their machines beyond belief.

Why the fuck would I want AOL/quickbooks/Mcafee crap on a XPS gaming machine?

Images
    i only buy dell optiplexes, i also always do a clean install w/ no bloatware from my RIS

134 machines, no complaints here

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[penryn]
    I wouldn't have one for a high-end gaming PC, but only because I'm especially anal about my control over BIOS functions.
    i only game on home brew's @ home myself :D

People's Republik of Kalifornia in the Great US Banana Republik
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[rsx]
    yea well my cpu can handle pong....can yours?
    Oh SNAP!

13. Quote Originally Posted by x[rsx]
    i have a dell, im on it right now, and it pwns most of ur guys cpu
    Is that the new hotness Dell Crapteron processor you're talking about that they just came out with?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaj
    Well some of these nifty 2.8ghz dells look great and are fast, but come with no AGP slot. Why would a fast computer like that NOT have one?

Aren't all OEM Intel systems PCIe anyway?

Images
    hell yea dude i got p-ONURFACE processor, but yea all the new dells are pci now, mines agp cuz its about 2 yrs old, and it sucks cuz i coulda paid less for the 6800gtoc pci instead of the agp :icon_cry:

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj

depends what model you get, thier base models may have 2.8 GHz proc's but tis the base model and you get what you paid for
    the higher end models came w/ AGP, and now they come w/ PCI-E

I always build my own shit unless its a laptop :)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard
    depends what model you get, thier base models may have 2.8 GHz proc's but tis the base model and you get what you paid for
    the higher end models came w/ AGP, and now they come w/ PCI-E

Also, often times they dont come with an agp slot, but the built in video is agp based. I guess they figure on a standard machine, most people will just use the on board video and be happy. Like phelpz said, you want an uber gaming machine, you part that shit out yourself.
    i7 2600K + ATI 6990

I ended up giving the Dell to my sister who just emails and surfs the web. And built by Nephew another computer from scratch. And I always build my own pc's for gaming. I went to Alienware and peiced together a system, and by the time I was done, they wanted $9000.00 for it. So I took their same specs and pieced it together and bought all my parts from Fry's for under $3000.00.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Images
    from slashdot

Games: Dell XPS 'Gaming' PC Review
    Posted by Zonk on Monday December 19, @01:40AM
    from the hard-to dept.
    cojsl writes "[H]ard|OCP has an entertaining review of a Dell XPS 400 'Gaming PC'." From the article: "If the Dimension XPS400 is any indication, Dell considers computer gamers a joke. Harsh, yes. But we think it's accurate. The system itself is a decent gaming platform and the hardware was well built. It was put together decently with parts that can pull the weight required to play today's graphically intensive games. But we couldn't even install one of the most popular games on the market, Sims 2, and trying to play other popular games would lock up the system and gaming sessions, when they would run, would get interrupted. The pre-installed programs that Dell chose to include on its computer were almost certainly the cause of all these problems, and unloading these programs from the boot-up routine fixed the problems."

Thread Information