Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300

Quote Originally Posted by x[priest] View Post
    Oh here it goes again. Fucking Islam and its lame BS again! You know when I was watching this flick, I never once thought of Iran!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070313/...h74wfxxGsDW7oF

AHAHAHAHHA OWNED!!!

We need to send him this message from the United States.

"Nuts"

Iran's biggest circulation newspaper, Hamshahri, said "300" is "serving the policy of the U.S. leadership" and predicted it will "prompt a wave of protest in the world. ... Iranians living in the U.S. and Europe will not be indifferent about this obvious insult."

PFFT lol amongst whom? that whacked out president? Oviously his people don't ALL feel the same way.

In Iran, the movie hasn't opened and probably never will, given the government's restrictions on Western films, though one paper said bootleg DVDs were already available. OWNED~!

SPARTA!!!!!!!!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

casey, sean, and i wanna try to imax it this thurs j, u in? this time ill keep the naughty box in my room when you come over :P

I just punched a hurricane! WOOOOO!!!!

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images
    Oh here it goes again. Fucking Islam and its lame BS again! You know when I was watching this flick, I never once thought of Iran!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070313/...h74wfxxGsDW7oF
    That's because you're not Persian.

Iran is essentially descended from Persia.

It has nothing to do with islam, however. Islam came about 1000 years later.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[ninjax] View Post
    casey, sean, and i wanna try to imax it this thurs j, u in? this time ill keep the naughty box in my room when you come over :P
    cant. got plans already thurs night
    can we bump it back

Twitch123 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by x[con] View Post
    That's because you're not Persian.

Iran is essentially descended from Persia.

It has nothing to do with islam, however. Islam came about 1000 years later.
    Yeah what Con says is true it's a great deal of national pride there to be Persian. How would you feel if they made a movie about the founding fathers being terrorists? They regularly burned the homes and businesses of loyalists. I haven't seen the movie yet but just from the trailers I can tell the Persians aren't portrayed in the best light.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch123 View Post
    Yeah what Con says is true it's a great deal of national pride there to be Persian. How would you feel if they made a movie about the founding fathers being terrorists? They regularly burned the homes and businesses of loyalists. I haven't seen the movie yet but just from the trailers I can tell the Persians aren't portrayed in the best light.
    Bunch of gays...

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
    But when life hands you a bunch of crap, don't make anything.
    Trust me on this one."

Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

How do I set my laser printer on stun?

Images
    saw it last night. i liked it

the battle's were awsome

very comic book like, but i like comic books.

Images
    i thoroughly enjoyed the flick.

9. This shit in imax is like sensory overload. Totally awesome.

Here's some history from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonidas_I

And Hardcore...I love your avatar ahhahahhaha ROFL!!!!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Twitch123 Guest
    Just got back from seeing 300 and it was awesome. I didn't even notice the political commentary that some people saw in the movie. Movies these days need a good guy and a bad guy or it just isn't going to draw a crowd. This was entirely based off nothing more than a comic book based on a real event.

I'd like the history channel to put together something on the Battle of Thermopylae and make it historically accurate. From my reading of the actual events of the battle far more Greeks were there. Also the pass was actually around 200 hundred yards wide and not the 25 yard bottle neck it was in the movie. You just couldn't hold a 200 yard wide pass with 300 men no F'ing way.

All in all an excellent movie and nothing more. On a side note how many people wanted to see that huge guy beheading the Persian generals for failure to enter battle and start knocking some heads?

Images
    Just got back from seeing 300 and it was awesome. I didn't even notice the political commentary that some people saw in the movie. Movies these days need a good guy and a bad guy or it just isn't going to draw a crowd. This was entirely based off nothing more than a comic book based on a real event.

I'd like the history channel to put together something on the Battle of Thermopylae and make it historically accurate. From my reading of the actual events of the battle far more Greeks were there. Also the pass was actually around 200 hundred yards wide and not the 25 yard bottle neck it was in the movie. You just couldn't hold a 200 yard wide pass with 300 men no F'ing way.

All in all an excellent movie and nothing more. On a side note how many people wanted to see that huge guy beheading the Persian generals for failure to enter battle and start knocking some heads?
    Hey why wait for the history channel to make something? Its called a "book", give it a try sometime.

Fyi, it wasn't just the 300 Spartans, there were also about 4000 other spartan allies standing with them fighting to the death.
    Last edited by x[bodyshot]; 03-16-2007 at 07:36 AM.
    Good lord are there no good games to play?

Images
    I haven't seen the movie yet but here are some of my recollections of the historical aspect. It wasn't just the 300 Spartans for the first couple days, I think Bodyshot's number is pretty close there was about 4000-6000 other greek allies with them for the first 2 days (nobody really knows for sure). However a traitor tipped off the Persians about a way to flank the Spartans, realizing they were about to get fucked in the ass, most of the Greek allies took off, some did stay though. One of the most important things about the battle was it gave all of Greece time to prepare for the Persians more adequately.

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images
    The combined Greek army numbered close to 7000.

The Greek traitor did live forever like how Leonidas suggested, in a way. The traitor's name became the Greek word for "nightmare." It came from this battle. His name will live forever.

On the 3rd day, only 300 Spartans and 200 Thespians stayed back to hold off the Persians. More than 6000 Greeks retreated on the order of Leonidas.

There was a huge naval battle fought at the same time. Half of Xerxes's forces was loaded up on ships. They planned to invade Greece on a pincer movement. An Athenian general named Thermitocles led the Greek navy and defeated the Persian navy at the Battle of Salamis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Salamis
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

I quote,

(d. 480 bc), king of Sparta (490?–480 bc). Leonidas is best known for his heroic defense of the narrow mountain pass of Thermopylae against the Persian army of Xerxes I in 480 bc. With an outnumbered force of about 7000 men, of which 300 were Spartans, Leonidas withstood the Persian invasion for two days. A Thessalian traitor, Ephialtes (d. 469 bc), however, showed Xerxes a new path over the mountain, and when Leonidas learned that he was about to be attacked from the rear, he sent most of his troops to safety. He remained with the Spartans and about 1100 other soldiers, mainly Thebans and Thespians, who refused to leave. The Thebans subsequently deserted. Leonidas and the remainder of his men perished bravely. The famous Battle of Thermopylae was recorded by the Greek historian Herodotus in his History.

(Pers. Khshayarsha) (c. 519–465 bc), king of Persia (486–465 bc), the son of Darius I and Atossa (fl. 6th cent. bc), daughter of Cyrus the Great. Ascending the throne upon the death of his father, he subdued a rebellion in Egypt, and then spent three years preparing a great fleet and army to punish the Greeks for aiding the Ionian cities in 498 bc and for their victory over the Persians at Marathon in 490 bc. The Greek historian Herodotus gives as the combined strength of Xerxes’ land and naval forces the incredible total of 2,641,610 warriors. Xerxes is said to have crossed the Hellespont by a bridge of boats more than a kilometer in length and to have cut a canal through the isthmus of Mount Athos. During the spring of 480 bc he marched with his forces through Thrace, Thessaly, and Locris. At Thermopylae 300 Spartans, under their king, Leonidas I, and 700 Thespians made a courageous stand, delaying the Persians for ten days, but eventually were annihilated. Xerxes then advanced into Attica and burned Athens, which had been abandoned by the Greeks. Later in 480 bc, however, at the Battle of Salamís, in the Gulf of Aegina (now the Saronic Gulf) near Athens, Xerxes’s fleet was defeated by a much smaller contingent of Greek warships commanded by the Athenian general Themistocles. Xerxes thereupon retired to Asia Minor, leaving the remainder of his army in Greece under the command of his son-in-law, Mardonius (fl. 500–479 bc), who was slain at Plataea the following year. Xerxes was murdered at Persepolis by Artabanus (d. 464 bc), captain of the palace guard; he was succeeded by his son Artaxerxes I (r. 465–425 bc). Xerxes is generally identified as the Ahasuerus of the Book of Esther.
    Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.01Ghz|Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima|Crosshair IV Formula|Corsair HX1000w|XFX GTX295|8 Gigs Ripgaws|2X300GB RAID0,1x 500 1x750 Seagate HDDs|Enermax Uber Chakra Case|2x LITE-ON LH-20A1L|2 ASUS VH242HL-P|X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS|Logitech Z-680's

Images
    going to see imax tonight
    sooo stoked

Images
    The Greek historian Herodotus gives as the combined strength of Xerxes’ land and naval forces the incredible total of 2,641,610 warriors.
    You have to love the Greeks penchant for over blowing stuff.

Twitch123 Guest
    Actually the History Channel did make something on this called "Last Stand of the 300".

http://www.history.com/shows.do?epis...&action=detail

I just watched it tonight for those looking for a less biased view on the events I recommend this. Oh and Bodyshot I do read it's called Wikipedia and the occasional google search.

Images
    Oh and Bodyshot I do read it's called Wikipedia and the occasional google search.
    I am glad to see you are so well read.

Actually the History Channel did make something on this called "Last Stand of the 300".

http://www.history.com/shows.do?epis...&action=detail

I just watched it tonight for those looking for a less biased view on the events I recommend this. Oh and Bodyshot I do read it's called Wikipedia and the occasional google search.

Damn! I'll be working when it plays. I guess I'll have to buy it.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information