Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD TV's

Images

HD TV's

Hey Im in the market for a nice HDTV, Ive been looking on overstock.com for prices and tvs and been reading reviews. But you guys have always been the most up to date and in the know on electronics so I figured id see what you guys had to say.

im looking to spend 1000-1500 and want at least a 42 inch tv. Mostly going to be used for watching tv movies and playing wii games. Maybe ps3 or xbox if I get one. let me know what you guys think are good.

thanks

x[bouncy]
    "The devil grows inside the hearts of the selfish and wicked... White brown yellow and black color is not restricted... You have a self destructive destiny when your inflicted... And you'll be one of gods children that fell from the top... Theres no diversity because were burning in the melting pot... So when the devil wants to dance with you, you better say never cause a dance with the devil might last you forever..."

-Immortal Technique

I know its only 40", but WELL worth the price for a sumsung IMO.

http://www.dealcatcher.com/coupons~v...66~pg=36039335

Images
    good deal... long as the refresh isn't shit ;)

8ms response time

Images
    Well my questions is, whats the difference between like crt, lcd, plasma, and DPL. Which is better or what not? I see all sorts of tvs with cheaper prices or more expensive and stuff depending on that stuff. Im thinking of going with Samsung, Phillips or Toshiba but just wanna know the brands and stuff. So I want a good refresh time on what plasmas and lcds or? sorry pretty noob right now gotta read all the tech websites again.

x[bouncy]
    "The devil grows inside the hearts of the selfish and wicked... White brown yellow and black color is not restricted... You have a self destructive destiny when your inflicted... And you'll be one of gods children that fell from the top... Theres no diversity because were burning in the melting pot... So when the devil wants to dance with you, you better say never cause a dance with the devil might last you forever..."

-Immortal Technique

People's Republik of Kalifornia in the Great US Banana Republik
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[bouncy] View Post
    Well my questions is, whats the difference between like crt, lcd, plasma, and DPL. Which is better or what not? I see all sorts of tvs with cheaper prices or more expensive and stuff depending on that stuff. Im thinking of going with Samsung, Phillips or Toshiba but just wanna know the brands and stuff. So I want a good refresh time on what plasmas and lcds or? sorry pretty noob right now gotta read all the tech websites again.

x[bouncy]
    CRT: Standard tube. Heavy as hell. Typically don't get that big nor do they really support the higher resolutions.
    LCD: Backlit LCD display. Thin, relatively light, support all the resolutions, cheaper. I like these.
    Plasma: (Possibly) Brighter, more contrast, and higher response time. More expensive and costs more to get higher resolutions. Possible burn in and color fading.
    DLP: Crap in a hat.

Get 1080p, with multiple HDMI inputs, brand really doesn't matter if it has the specs and reliability to backup the price.

Images
    I doubt your that new. If you want flat panel you only have certain choices. If you want size RPTV is better for the price. Stay away from plasma.

Well, from owning 3 DLP's Ranging from 62in to 50 in and one plasma 50in. I will say that DLP's have one of the best if not he best color reproduction I've seen. That being said, one of the worst things about DLP is the pixilation when things move fast across the screen. Not good.

The Plasma I have, owns in this department but lacks in color reproduction. The blacks aren't as great as the DLP but still good. The Vizio I have now is not the best, but The price was right and its great for football. Now as for the brands. I have owned Optima, Samsung, Toshiba, Vizio HDTV's. The Toshiba was hands down the worst of the bunch. Their CS was one of the worst I've ever dealt with. The fucking bulb blew out 2 times in 1 yr and the Motherboard went out that same yr. The Samsung had issues with the protective layer on the screen. It looked like it had water in between the screen. Their CS was outstanding got the issue resolved right away. The Optima was good just didn't have enough features on it to keep it.

The Vizio Plasma I have is ok Not The greatest plasma on the market, It has one dead pixel in the botom right hand corner, Nothing that major For 1200 its fucking nice.. I have a PS3, Wii , HD Tivo. Even my VCR looks great on it compared to The DLP's They just looked awful with RCA cables connected to it. Hope this helps..

P.S.
    The Stay away from Plasma stament from someone who I'm pretty sure has never owned one is just a lame. They are great ,and will last just as long if not longer as DLP or LCOS, LCD....
    Last edited by x[priest]; 08-31-2007 at 05:48 PM.
    Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.01Ghz|Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima|Crosshair IV Formula|Corsair HX1000w|XFX GTX295|8 Gigs Ripgaws|2X300GB RAID0,1x 500 1x750 Seagate HDDs|Enermax Uber Chakra Case|2x LITE-ON LH-20A1L|2 ASUS VH242HL-P|X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS|Logitech Z-680's

Images
    lol @ all the brand and keyword hyper links in your post.

I'm avoiding them like the plague thinking they're stupid mouse over ads :P

Quote Originally Posted by x[chongo] View Post
    lol @ all the brand and keyword hyper links in your post.

I'm avoiding them like the plague thinking they're stupid mouse over ads :P

That was the point LOL
    Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.01Ghz|Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima|Crosshair IV Formula|Corsair HX1000w|XFX GTX295|8 Gigs Ripgaws|2X300GB RAID0,1x 500 1x750 Seagate HDDs|Enermax Uber Chakra Case|2x LITE-ON LH-20A1L|2 ASUS VH242HL-P|X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS|Logitech Z-680's

Images
    Take a look at a Sharp AQUOS 42" or 47"
    - In your price range
    - LCD Full HD
    - 8500:1 dynamic contrast ratio (most tvs in this range are < 1500:1)
    - 6ms response time

Also, check out this www.avsforum.com

Images
    I have a samsung 42" rpcrt hdtv. it's old, only does 1080i (480p/720p) but it does the job. The 360 looks great on it, and streaming divx over the network through an xbox looks fine.

I personally prefer rear projection crt monitors, well cause I'm poor.

if you don't mind used, check out http://www.craigslist.org
    and you can find yourself a really nice Mitsubishi for under a grand.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[visine] View Post
    I personally prefer rear projection crt monitors, well cause I'm poor.
    Rear Projection gives you the best picture hands down next to tube as long as you can deal with the space.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    I do what I do best, take scores. You do what you do best, try to stop guys like me.

Images
    For what its worth my Dad had a 50" vizio plasma. He really liked it, but it only lasted a few months. (after a few months when he changed the channel the picture would go out). Also, he is old as fuck and can't see shit, he would have been happy with a crt screen.

He purchased it at costco and was able to get a full refund. I think it was around 1800 at the time. While my dad liked it, I could definitely see ghosting on movies with a dark or black screen.

He now owns a bravio LCD, which is probably more expensive, but the picture is alot better than the plasma.

On this website there is a comparison between the different technologies, you may want to check out
    http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

Images
    Vizio is a great brand for LCDs, I hear their plazma's aren't that great tho. I would look into buying at costco or sam's club, they have good prices, and good warranties. I just got a 32" Vizio LCD HDTV and its freakin awesome, my parents have 42" Vizio, and my grandparents a 47" Vizio, its one of the better ones out there, and cheaper as well
    jedi.turk
    my force is in you

Images
    The problem with rear-projectors/DLP is that you need to change the bulb when it's out, and those are pretty expensive (~$150-$200). Also, these bulbs are NOT very robust.

Plasmas are expensive to buy, and expensive to repair as well.

Stick to LCDs.

Images
    I have a samsung HL-T DLP, rainbow effect is a thing of the past because these new sets use 3 color LEDs instead of a white bulb and color wheel.

A little out of your range though.

Looks amazing if you can pony up the extra cash for it.

Images
    Do the research yourself.

Take about a week and read the forums at http://www.avsforum.com/

Go look at them in store and pick the one that looks best to you.

I have a philips LCOS rp and a new sony 60A3000 rp.
    I could not stand the color of DLPs. The LCOS looked the best to me so I went with that.
    x[dmitri]
    Why are we here?
    Because we are here.
    Roll the bones.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[sabotage] View Post
    Take a look at a Sharp AQUOS 42" or 47"
    - In your price range
    - LCD Full HD
    - 8500:1 dynamic contrast ratio (most tvs in this range are < 1500:1)
    - 6ms response time

Also, check out this www.avsforum.com
    Seconding this recommendation. This is the TV I'd buy if I were in the market for one right now. Plus they're on sale at Costco starting the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by x[gizmo] View Post
    Seconding this recommendation. This is the TV I'd buy if I were in the market for one right now. Plus they're on sale at Costco starting the 4th.

how much are they on sale for?

I just punched a hurricane! WOOOOO!!!!

Thread Information