Thread: Do you actually get the EPA gas mileage from your car?

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images

Do you actually get the EPA gas mileage from your car?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...asMileage.aspx

This is not my rant. I put it in "rant" because some people might want to complain about this problem.

Surprisingly, I actually get pretty close to what the EPA estimated gas mileage on nearly all of the cars I've ever owned.

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS - EPA: 22-29 (if I remember correctly) actual: 20-31 (yes, I got higher gas mileage on freeway driving than what the EPA achieved in lab conditions)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE - EPA: 22-27 actual: 22-27 (pretty close on this one)

2002 Lexus IS300 - EPA: 18-25 actual: 18-24 (still pretty good here)

2006 Subaru Impreza non-turbo - EPA: 23-28 actual: 22-28 (again, pretty close)

How about you guys? Do you guys get something close to the EPA sticker? Or do you think the old EPA sticker is way too optimistic and needs to come down a bit, like 20% to 30%?
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

2004 Infinity FX35 16/27 it's right on the money. I think I could squeeze a little more out of it if I could just keep my heavy foot off the pedal.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

No one ever gets the claimed EPA MPG... except the lab rats who drive
    the cars under laboratory controlled conditions.

It's like the amount of nicotine you supposedly get from cigs that are
    laboratory tested. It's not as low as claimed. It's not real world dynamics
    at work.

I drive a 3/4 ton crew cab diesel truck that doesn't get an EPA fuel mileage rating. But, it does get about 19.5 - 21.5 mpg when unladen. It drops to about 11.5 - 12.5 mpg when laden to about 17,000 lbs GCW (max weight so far). I get better fuel mileage weighing in at 17,000 lbs GCW than many trucks get that only weigh 4,000 lbs when unladen. Turbo diesel engines FUCKING ROCK.

The other vehicles I drive on the street have 2 wheels and those don't get an EPA fuel mileage rating either.

Quote Originally Posted by [iMF]Stalker View Post
    I drive a 3/4 ton crew cab diesel truck that doesn't get an EPA fuel mileage rating. But, it does get about 19.5 - 21.5 mpg when unladen. It drops to about 11.5 - 12.5 mpg when laden to about 17,000 lbs GCW (max weight so far). I get better fuel mileage weighing in at 17,000 lbs GCW than many trucks get that only weigh 4,000 lbs when unladen. Turbo diesel engines FUCKING ROCK.

The other vehicles I drive on the street have 2 wheels and those don't get an EPA fuel mileage rating either.

Dude what kind of Truck do you own? I have 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 3/4 ton Quadcab 4x4, 24v Cummings Turbo HO Diesel and I can only get 14.5mpg city but on HW is 21mpg
    BTW Turbo diesel engines Do in-fact FUCKING ROCK!!!!!!!
    Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.01Ghz|Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima|Crosshair IV Formula|Corsair HX1000w|XFX GTX295|8 Gigs Ripgaws|2X300GB RAID0,1x 500 1x750 Seagate HDDs|Enermax Uber Chakra Case|2x LITE-ON LH-20A1L|2 ASUS VH242HL-P|X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS|Logitech Z-680's

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[con] View Post
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...asMileage.aspx

This is not my rant. I put it in "rant" because some people might want to complain about this problem.

Surprisingly, I actually get pretty close to what the EPA estimated gas mileage on nearly all of the cars I've ever owned.

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS - EPA: 22-29 (if I remember correctly) actual: 20-31 (yes, I got higher gas mileage on freeway driving than what the EPA achieved in lab conditions)

1997 Nissan Maxima GXE - EPA: 22-27 actual: 22-27 (pretty close on this one)

2002 Lexus IS300 - EPA: 18-25 actual: 18-24 (still pretty good here)

2006 Subaru Impreza non-turbo - EPA: 23-28 actual: 22-28 (again, pretty close)

How about you guys? Do you guys get something close to the EPA sticker? Or do you think the old EPA sticker is way too optimistic and needs to come down a bit, like 20% to 30%?
    I thought they recently changed how the MPG is calculated because it was inaccurate. I wanna say that the new calculations dropped hybrid owners fuel economy number by as much as 16%.

they did change it, but the problem is that it is it still a calculation. The mpg you see is based on a mathematical calculation with a ton of variables. Im sure some people do indeed get the stickered mpg, but there are so many driving conditions encountered that you are likely to have the same chance of finding a golden global warming model as you are of finding one for mpg.
    OMGHI2U!

Quote Originally Posted by x[priest] View Post
    Dude what kind of Truck do you own? I have 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 3/4 ton Quadcab 4x4, 24v Cummings Turbo HO Diesel and I can only get 14.5mpg city but on HW is 21mpg
    BTW Turbo diesel engines Do in-fact FUCKING ROCK!!!!!!!
    01 F250 7.3L. I get about 14-15mpg in the city. I'm quite gentle on the throttle and only billow immense clouds of black smoke on occasion.

I've heard of people getting upwards of 22-23 mpg on the highway with the Cummins 5.9L 24v. Cummins is teh pimp shit.

Images
    2002 330i 19-30.. yup right on the money. I've actually gotten 31-32 on highway trips. Average right now over a few thousand miles is 24.5.

The problem with the old epa ratings was with hybrids mostly, but the changes do help across all types. Even though its funky math it's amazingly on the spot for most assuming you dont dump gas.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[doublevision] View Post
    they did change it, but the problem is that it is it still a calculation. The mpg you see is based on a mathematical calculation with a ton of variables. Im sure some people do indeed get the stickered mpg, but there are so many driving conditions encountered that you are likely to have the same chance of finding a golden global warming model as you are of finding one for mpg.
    lol

so with the older cars, if you are actually getting the EMPG, which is likely based off the old statistical formula, then you are driving like the cheeseheads who calculated it

2006 F150 4x4

14mpg city

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images
    I'm just wondering why I pretty much get what the EPA estimates get. In fact, I got better gas mileage in my Eclipse going 90mph from here to Vegas. I got almost 30mpg in my Impreza on the trip to Vegas when the laboratory perfect highway condition gets only 28.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    2005 4runner SE 4.7L v8, full time 4wheel drive.

15 - 17 city, 19 - 21 freeway. Close it EPA ratings, but I switched out the tires with all terains, which have more roll resistance.... Gonna effect mileage a little.
    i7 2600K + ATI 6990

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[doublevision] View Post
    imma go out on a limb here and suggest they actually drive the car with the diagnostic hooked up and do some simple addition vs a "mathmatical calculation with a ton of variables". its fun as hell showing boat owners their fuel consumption real time
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."

Thread Information