Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Check out my Gun.

Images
    Uhhh...what bullet tax incoming? Is this an Obama thing? What did I miss...

There's a gun show in Ontaria, CA on May 16-17th. Hopefully there will be plenty of cheap ammo to be bought there.

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[adambomb] View Post
    Uhhh...what bullet tax incoming? Is this an Obama thing? What did I miss...

There's a gun show in Ontaria, CA on May 16-17th. Hopefully there will be plenty of cheap ammo to be bought there.
    There will be some ammo. Cheap? That depends. I've been to several shows over the last half year and ammo prices have skyrocketed. The last batch I bought was $16 for 50 rounds of Winchester White Box 45ACP. It's probably higher now.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    The grey knobs kinda make it look like a toy gun. :)

Images
    oooh FN. That's hawt.
    "When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic"
    Email: provoker@xclan.org XFire: xprovoker

Images
    I like the 20 round capacity, but the rounds are kinda rare, at least around here. A gun without reliable ammo source is just a club.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    Yeah, rounds are pretty scarce here too. I looked into one a while back. They have gotten some pretty good press from Shooting Times and such, so maybe more manufacturers will start making 5.7ammo.
    "When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic"
    Email: provoker@xclan.org XFire: xprovoker

Images
    Probably scarce finding them locally, but if you know where to look, finding them online isn't too rough.

http://www.ammoengine.com/

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/5.7x28mm

Although ~.38 - .40 a round (prior to shipping) is pretty steep.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[chongo] View Post
    Probably scarce finding them locally, but if you know where to look, finding them online isn't too rough.

That is an awesome site. Now I can replenish some ammo and prepare for the zombie invasion. Thanks.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[con] View Post
    That is an awesome site. Now I can replenish some ammo and prepare for the zombie invasion. Thanks.
    You'll find some sources that aren't listed there. I just recently bought 1000 rounds from suprlusammo.com. Good guys, good pricing, but didn't see it on ammoengine

Images
    You'll find some sources that aren't listed there. I just recently bought 1000 rounds from suprlusammo.com. Good guys, good pricing, but didn't see it on ammoengine
    Cool, thanks.

I was able to buy 1000 rounds of 9mm from Basspro for $240, before it was gone.

I need 45ACP now since I found out I'm a better shot with my 45 than my 9.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    Cool, thanks.

what 45, what 9?

Images
    Cool, thanks.

Walmart is still your best bet for 9mm, .40, and .45. You just gotta call them at the right times to see if they're stocking it - and get there early to buy it up.

They currently limit you to 6 boxes per person/per day, but at $13.97+tax (.40) for 50 rounds of Federal or Blazer Brass - you can't beat it when you factor in shipping from online retailers. 9mm is even cheaper, I believe $9.97+tax for 50.

Best bet is to have standing orders w/ friends. If they see a particular caliber in stock at Walmart, have them buy up what they can and work out payment upon delivery.

Edit: I went over-board when I found .22LR in stock. Bought the limit, 6 boxes of 550 count Bulk Federal bricks. 3300 rounds of .22LR @ 10 rounds a magazine... painful.

Images
    Cool, thanks.

That's weird...

Images
    what 45, what 9?
    I am pretty good with my Sig P220 45ACP, better than my Glock 19 or Sig P225. What I want to try is to see if the size of the gun and length of barrel affect this result. I have a P226 which is almost the same exact size as the P220, but in 9mm.

Walmart is still your best bet for 9mm, .40, and .45. You just gotta call them at the right times to see if they're stocking it - and get there early to buy it up.
    Yeah. I hear tuesday and wednesday afternoons are the best time to go. Unfortunately I get too lazy after work on those days.

They currently limit you to 6 boxes per person/per day, but at $13.97+tax (.40) for 50 rounds of Federal or Blazer Brass - you can't beat it when you factor in shipping from online retailers. 9mm is even cheaper, I believe $9.97+tax for 50.

Best bet is to have standing orders w/ friends. If they see a particular caliber in stock at Walmart, have them buy up what they can and work out payment upon delivery.

Edit: I went over-board when I found .22LR in stock. Bought the limit, 6 boxes of 550 count Bulk Federal bricks. 3300 rounds of .22LR @ 10 rounds a magazine... painful.
    I bought 1 of those. I never had a thing for 22LR. Eventually, I plan to buy a Henry 22LR lever action and/or a Savage bolt gun. Non-autoloader means they can take 22 Short, 22 Long, and 22LR. Most importantly, they can take 22LR loaded with primer only. Less noise than a BB gun but more deadly to rats and birds

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    I am pretty good with my Sig P220 45ACP, better than my Glock 19 or Sig P225. What I want to try is to see if the size of the gun and length of barrel affect this result. I have a P226 which is almost the same exact size as the P220, but in 9mm.

Yeah. I hear tuesday and wednesday afternoons are the best time to go. Unfortunately I get too lazy after work on those days.

I bought 1 of those. I never had a thing for 22LR. Eventually, I plan to buy a Henry 22LR lever action and/or a Savage bolt gun. Non-autoloader means they can take 22 Short, 22 Long, and 22LR. Most importantly, they can take 22LR loaded with primer only. Less noise than a BB gun but more deadly to rats and birds
    Your ability to shoot better with your Sig .45 vs Glock 9mm could be because of the aggressive grip angle of the Glock. It's love it or hate it with Glock users. Personally, I'm not a fan of it. Lisa seems to shoot better with a Glock than an XD, which has a more relaxed angle grip and the Sig p225's grip posture is about as relaxed as can be.

Images
    Your ability to shoot better with your Sig .45 vs Glock 9mm could be because of the aggressive grip angle of the Glock. It's love it or hate it with Glock users. Personally, I'm not a fan of it. Lisa seems to shoot better with a Glock than an XD, which has a more relaxed angle grip and the Sig p225's grip posture is about as relaxed as can be.
    I actually like the Glock. I can shoot my Glock 19 better than my P6/P225.

I will need to do more research into this area. Glad I bought that case of 9mm rounds.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images

Thanks for the link Chongo, this should be very useful.

I made the mistake of buying 500 rounds of Wolf ammo not knowing it had a steel core. I took it to the range 2 weeks ago and the range officer came to my bench about 10 minutes later with his little magnet and told me I couldn't use it because it's a fire hazard. Buyer beware!

Images

I made the mistake of buying 500 rounds of Wolf ammo not knowing it had a steel core. I took it to the range 2 weeks ago and the range officer came to my bench about 10 minutes later with his little magnet and told me I couldn't use it because it's a fire hazard. Buyer beware!
    The excuses they use on Wolf ammo is so varied it's ridiculous. Some claim the steel core hits the backstop and comes back. Some claim fire hazard because of some laquer coating Wolf puts on their casings. I swear, it's just cause they can't sell off the casing, being steel it can't be reloaded, to a reloader. They have to sift through it.

Some Wolf ammo has a steel core, some doesn't, but they all have a steel casing. The fire hazard claim is utter bullshit. Fact is, Wolf is a "dirty" round, but if the type you're shooting is not a steel core, I see no reason why they shouldn't let you shoot it - cept the fact that they have to pick out the steel casings (thus the magnet "test").

Basically, it's easier for the range to ban all Wolf rather than to determine what you're bringing in isn't steel cored.

Images

The excuses they use on Wolf ammo is so varied it's ridiculous. Some claim the steel core hits the backstop and comes back. Some claim fire hazard because of some laquer coating Wolf puts on their casings. I swear, it's just cause they can't sell off the casing, being steel it can't be reloaded, to a reloader. They have to sift through it.

Some Wolf ammo has a steel core, some doesn't, but they all have a steel casing. The fire hazard claim is utter bullshit. Fact is, Wolf is a "dirty" round, but if the type you're shooting is not a steel core, I see no reason why they shouldn't let you shoot it - cept the fact that they have to pick out the steel casings (thus the magnet "test").

Basically, it's easier for the range to ban all Wolf rather than to determine what you're bringing in isn't steel cored.
    All this being said; I've been debating on adding to my stock of ammo with 1000 Wolf rounds. I'd use Wolf for outdoor ranges, or when I'm plinking somewhere un-sanctioned (desert etc). And save my more expensive rounds for anywhere that won't let me use Wolf. Depending on how much you go, and where you go, it may not have been a mistake. Sell me your ammo :P

Thread Information