Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guns, shooting, and reloading?

Quote Originally Posted by x[adambomb] View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info!

Would that be a Nikon Monarch? I found one on eBay currently being bid at ~ $30.
    Yes. It's a Nikon Monarch VSD in black. The regular Monarch doesn't have the adjustable red dot. The VSD is a feature that allows you to change the dot size from a 1, 4, 6, 8, or 10 MOA sized dot. Some of you might be asking, "WTF is an MOA Stalker? I don't need no stinkin' MOA. I'm nothing but BOOM! HS!" Well, here is what an MOA is.

MOA = Minute of arc. 1 MOA = 1/60th of one degree. Imagine a cone that projected out from the end of your barrel. That's what people are talking about when they talk about MOA and firearms. So, if you have a 1 MOA rifle, that means your rifle consistently hits a 1.047" (Round it down to 1" like most people do) group at 100 yards. So, having said that let's not split any hairs since we're talking AR-15s. 1 MOA = A one inch circle at 100 yards. So, if you're shooting something at 200 yards, then your 1 MOA rifle should, in theory, hit a 2" group.

Here's the good part and how it pertains to optics, whether it be a red dot with an MOA-sized dot or a scope with MIL-dots, etc... Say you're looking through the red dot and your dot is set to 6 MOA. You decide you want to shoot someone in the head because you've had a bad day. But, dammit! You don't know the range to the target. So, to figure out the range to your target you'll want to find something that's about the same range to your target that has a known dimension. For our example we'll pick something easy like your victim's head. You can safely bet his head is about 6-7" across. So, you paint the dot over his head and estimate how much wider or narrower the dot is over his head. You do this and estimate his head to cover about half of the width of your 6 MOA dot. What that means is your range to target is 200 yards. If his head was 1/4th the width of a 6 MOA dot, then your range to target would be 400 yards.

Likewise, these estimated ranges can be used to adjust your optics since the clicks will be denominated in MOA. I think my red dot has 1/2 MOA per click adjusters on it.

Images
    Sounds like h4x to me. I knew it!

Images
    bah hardcore m4 fanbois should use EoTech HWS!!
    "When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic"
    Email: provoker@xclan.org XFire: xprovoker

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[provoker] View Post
    bah hardcore m4 fanbois should use EoTech HWS!!
    Dunno if I could withstand the additional tongue-lashing for a $500+ EoTech sight. I'm already payin' for the M4!

The Eotech sight is nothing but WIN! If you can afford it, you won't be disappointed. The Nikon Monarch VSD and Eotech HWS are my two sights of choice. But, at $200 cheaper I chose the Nikon. Both are very good sights. If I had an extra $200 laying around, I'd definitely go with the Eotech.

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images
    Don't ever go cheap on optics. Every penny spent is a penny of quality. It just absolutely kills your day when your $1500 rifle becomes paper weight because of that $40 optic you threw on it breaks down.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

One bad thing for the Eotecs is in my line of work you bang that optic out of whack or had dead batteries then you got yourself a weapon good for 50 yards with just the front sight post..

now an Acog if your optic gets bumped outa whack,you go back to the basics rear ghost ring / front sight post. (no batteries needed)

just what you like and can afford

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[tex] View Post
    One bad thing for the Eotecs is in my line of work you bang that optic out of whack or had dead batteries then you got yourself a weapon good for 50 yards with just the front sight post..

now an Acog if your optic gets bumped outa whack,you go back to the basics rear ghost ring / front sight post. (no batteries needed)

just what you like and can afford
    Couldn't you mount a rear flip-up sight for backup with an optic at the same time?

yes you can. but in a fire fight you going to remember to flip that bad boy up..

train like you fight

and fight like you train

Thread Information