Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $150,000 on Palin Wardrobe & Accessories

Images

$150,000 on Palin Wardrobe & Accessories

L O F'ing lol

Pics: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...ideshow_9.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/23/us...=1&oref=slogin

Sarah Palin’s wardrobe joined the ranks of symbolic political excess on Wednesday, alongside John McCain’s multiple houses and John Edwards’s $400 haircut, as Republicans expressed fear that weeks of tailoring Ms. Palin as an average “hockey mom” would fray amid revelations that the Republican Party outfitted her with expensive clothing from high-end stores.

Cable television, talk radio and even shows like “Access Hollywood” seemed gripped with sartorial fever after campaign finance reports confirmed that the Republican National Committee spent $75,062 at Neiman Marcus and $49,425 at Saks Fifth Avenue in September for Ms. Palin and her family.

Advisers to Ms. Palin said on Wednesday that the purchases — which totaled about $150,000 and were classified as “campaign accessories” — were made on the fly after Ms. Palin, the governor of Alaska, was chosen as the Republican vice-presidential candidate on Aug. 29 and needed new clothes to match climates across the 50 states. They emphasized, too, that Ms. Palin did not spend time on the shopping, and that other people made the decision to buy such an array of clothes.

Yet Republicans expressed consternation publicly and privately that the shopping sprees on her behalf, which were first reported by Politico, would compromise Ms. Palin’s standing as Senator McCain’s chief emissary to working-class voters whose salvos at the so-called cultural elite often delight audiences at Republican rallies.

That possibility was brought to colorful life, for instance, on “The View” on ABC, as Joy Behar, a co-host, noted the McCain campaign’s outreach to blue-collar workers — like an Ohio plumber who recently chided Senator Barack Obama over taxes — after another co-host, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, defended the expenditures.

“I don’t think Joe the Plumber wears Manolo Blahniks,” Ms. Behar said.

Advisers to Mr. Obama — as well as those of his rival in the Democratic primaries, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton — said that campaign money was never spent on personal clothing, but that potentially embarrassing purchases could be blended into advertising budgets.

Mr. Edwards, the former North Carolina senator, however, listed two now infamous $400 haircuts as a campaign expense, and after they were detected, he struggled to shake an elitist image in his failed Democratic presidential bid.

Such an image is unhelpful at this late stage of the general election, Republicans said, especially when many families are experiencing economic pain, and when the image applies to a candidate — Ms. Palin — who has run for office in part on her appeal as an outdoors enthusiast and former small-town mayor who scorns pretensions.

“It looks like nobody with a political antenna was working on this — just one more sign of the hapless decisions in this campaign,” said Ed Rollins, a Republican political consultant who ran President Ronald Reagan’s re-election campaign in 1984. “It just undercuts Palin’s whole image as a hockey mom, a ‘one-of-us’ kind of candidate.”

Mr. Obama and his wife, Michelle, have been tagged as elitist by both Republicans and Democrats at times, and so much was made when she appeared on “The View” in June in a black-and-white patterned dress. Turns out it sold for $148 at an off-the-rack store.

Few Republican operatives or politicians, even those critical of the McCain-Palin campaign, were publicly criticizing the ticket on Wednesday over the clothing purchases. Some said privately that doing so would be akin to kicking a campaign while it was down.

Others said the issue was tainted with sexism, given that male politicians often spend thousands of dollars on suits.

“She had a legitimate need to purchase clothing to get her through three months of grueling campaigning in the constant spotlight of television cameras,” said William F. B. O’Reilly, a Republican consultant in New York. “No one would blink if this was a male candidate buying Brooks Brothers suits.”

Other Republicans said the focus on Ms. Palin’s clothing did not fairly reflect the challenge she faced: Neither she nor her Republican allies expected that she would be tapped as Mr. McCain’s running mate until the last minute, when she was elevated from her comfort zone in Alaska and presented to the nation as the first female Republican vice-presidential nominee.

“If they hadn’t done this, ‘Saturday Night Live’ would be doing jokes where Governor Palin would be dressed in elk skin,” said Rich Galen, a Republican consultant not associated with the McCain campaign.

Party officials, who said they had discussed the matter with McCain and Palin advisers, said that all concerned wanted Ms. Palin to present herself as a fashionable-but-sensible on-the-go working mother — a multilayered sartorial strategy, in other words, that has yielded an array of well-cut jackets and skirts, suitable for the different seasons and state climates.

Nicolle Wallace, a top adviser to Mr. McCain, described the clothes as a wardrobe necessary for an extraordinary circumstance and said the clothing would be given to charity at the conclusion of the campaign.

More than $130,000 of the charges used to outfit Ms. Palin and her family were initially footed by Jeff Larson, a prominent Republican consultant in St. Paul whose firm has been tied to the onslaught of negative robocalls from Mr. McCain’s campaign on Mr. Obama. Mr. Larson was also the chief executive of the local host committee for the Republican National Convention, in Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Federal Election Commission records showed Mr. Larson was reimbursed by the Republican National Committee for charges at Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Macy’s, Barneys New York and Atelier New York, a men’s clothing store.

If Ms. Palin chose to keep the clothes after the campaign is over, the $150,000 would have to be taxed as income. I.R.S. rules allow employees to deduct the cost of uniforms worn for work, so long as the clothes have no use other than one’s job. The Palins could offset such an increase in taxable income by donating the clothes to charity and taking a deduction.

Had the purchases been made by the McCain campaign, it would be a conversion of campaign money into personal use, which is prohibited. The same rule does not apply to money from party committees.

“The R.N.C. cleverly used the party committee’s money to avoid the liability that would have occurred if campaigns funds were used,” said Kenneth Gross, a lawyer who is an expert in campaign finance.

Under disclosure requirements of the Alaska Public Offices Commission, Ms. Palin would need to report any gifts valued at over $250 that come from a single giver.

Images
    Might be funny to you, but just remember that neither side has the moral high ground on stuff like this.
    Good lord are there no good games to play?

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images
    How is this any different than purchasing air time on the radio or TV or chartering a jet with campaign money? It's advertising a brand.

She's not that rich. She never had a need for expensive suits. What do you want? Jeans and T-shirt on national TV?

Obama has raised half a billion dollars. Where is that money going? Anyone asked that question?
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[con] View Post
    How is this any different than purchasing air time on the radio or TV or chartering a jet with campaign money? It's advertising a brand.

She's not that rich. She never had a need for expensive suits. What do you want? Jeans and T-shirt on national TV?

Obama has raised half a billion dollars. Where is that money going? Anyone asked that question?
    Of coarse not, then they would be racist.

The question is not whether there's anything legally wrong with the RNC buying Palin $150k worth of makeover.

The reason this is an issue is because of the sheer hypocrisy of the McCain campaign trying to paint Obama with the ELITIST brush all summer while the candidates themselves waltz around in $520 shoes and ultra-ritzy "hockey mom" attire from places like Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue.

Those in [seven] glass houses should not throw stones.

Images
    Glad to see we're focusing on the important stuff.

Sorry, I've seen that line in many of the political threads.
    Signature

Images
    I'm also interested in why they have her dress the way they do. She looks like a 21 year old slut often. To be spending the amount of money they are...for her to be looking the way she is...That is their end goal? (hence why I included pics)

Quote Originally Posted by x[codered] View Post
    Glad to see we're focusing on the important stuff.

Sorry, I've seen that line in many of the political threads.
    Hey - I had nothing to do with this =P

Images
    Palin is a joke, a fucking joke.

Images
    Um doesn't Barack spend a lot of money on his attire? Like $1500.00 suits and what not? What's the difference here? Who cares what they spend on attire they can't go out looking like bums.
    I am Arthur King of the Britainís! The Bitainís? Who are the Bitains? I thought we were an autonomous collective!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[aries] View Post
    Um doesn't Barack spend a lot of money on his attire? Like $1500.00 suits and what not? What's the difference here? Who cares what they spend on attire they can't go out looking like bums.
    The difference is 99 additional suits.
    Computer Specs:
    Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz @ 4.0GHz
    1. BCLK @ 200
    2. 1.33V
    3. Thermalright Rev C. - idle @ 35c, burn-in @ 72c

ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe
    Corsair DDR3 PC1600 2GB x 3
    eVGA GeForce GTX 465 Core 352 x2 SLI
    2x OCZ 60GB SSD @ RAID 0 (Stripe)
    Silverstone TJ10

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[cazter] View Post
    The difference is 99 additional suits.
    I was pointing out just one thing a suit. I'm sure he splends plenty on shoes and other attire, not to mention that he's raised over half a billion in this campaign in the last few months. Where's all that money going? I'm sure he's been tithing some to his church right? Oh wait he disowned his church never mind.
    I am Arthur King of the Britainís! The Bitainís? Who are the Bitains? I thought we were an autonomous collective!

I think they all should wear cloths and shoes made of recycled materials made by the handicapped. And only eat and drink "Organic" foods and liquids. And only drive electric cars. And live in houses made of recycled materials and built only by people from rehab.

And on their free time help out at the soup kitchens.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Images
    Even then, he's running for President not VP :P

Images
    I heard somewhere they are planning on donating the clothes to charity once the election is over.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...e_N.htm?csp=34

So maybe the Rep. machine went on crisis control and stated that they would donate the clothes after the story broke, but doesn't change the fact that they will be donating them to charity.
    Think we'll see Barak donate his suits? I am in need of a 2k suit, though i'll probably look like fat guy in a little coat....
    "....everyone wants to come to my house to RAGE."

Are you really all asking why this is a big deal? It's not about the money it's about the hypocrisy. Palin has been running a "hockey mom" "joe six pack" "average american woman" image since we learned who she was. She "says" she is just like your average neighbor and that's why she is good/new/change/anti-washington. Yet they/she don't/doesn't want to LOOK like your neighbor, she just wants to "say" she's like them.

1st: It's been said that actions are louder than words.

2nd: I wouldn't want ANY of my neighbors to be VP let alone President... scary...

Images
    lol, I doubt Obama has a 150K wardrobe.

Not only that, she's collected a 17,000 per diem for staying at home and blown tax payer money to fly her family around and clothe them too.

Besides that, omg she sucks on all her world views.

Images
    She received her passport in 2006. Why wouldn't she be familiar with foreign policy?

Images
    You guys are seriously hilarious. I bet this thread wouldn't even come up if McCain was running against Hilary.

Either way as a president or VP you have to look your best. Wtf do you think she's suppose to do? Walk out in jeans and a fucking T shirt?

Politics is one HUGE image game. None of these mother fuckers are exactly who they say they are. This is by far the worst thread I've seen this election, I posted some pretty off the wall shit, and this tops it all.

Yes she is playing the hockey mom role while Obama is playing the I was raised in the "Ghetto" role. Give me a break lol.

Get ready for the "I told you so" thread. I'm sure we will see one posted anywhere from 2009-2014.
    Signature

Thread Information