Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 101

Thread: McCain Conceds.

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Irvine, Cali
    Posts
    2,176
    Images
    22
    Supreme Court is not likely to touch it IMO.
    They ever so often avoid topics of this sort--as they feel it is up to the legislative branch and the props to make the decision.

    That's also why it took SO DAMN LONG for Brown v Board of Education--and even then, years later for it to be enforced.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    622
    Here's the thing I absolutely do NOT understand: exit polls showed 70% of African-Americans voted yes on 8. Also, 95% of African-Americans voted for Obama, who is against prop 8. Do they even agree with his stance on the issues?

    "Separate is not equal" wasn't that long ago, was it?

  3. #43
    The AA demo tends to be pretty socially conservative.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by x[cloud] View Post
    Here's the thing I absolutely do NOT understand: exit polls showed 70% of African-Americans voted yes on 8. Also, 95% of African-Americans voted for Obama, who is against prop 8. Do they even agree with his stance on the issues?

    "Separate is not equal" wasn't that long ago, was it?
    They had no idea about his stance on anything whatsoever. 90% of that 95% were voting for him just because of the color of his skin.

    Edit: PS: Guys there no need to get so angry over the difference in opinions that we share, thats the point of voting. I don't agree with the vast majority of people in general, but its no cause to get so heated. Things always tend to work out for the better.
    Last edited by x[hiphop]; 11-05-2008 at 08:13 PM.
    "I six packed the Fish!?"

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by x[bodyshot] View Post
    Although the vitriol, hatred and dismissiveness might make you feel better, it wont exactly help us convert anyone... Its just wasted text... and polarizing.

    Our viewpoint is in the minority, in California (only slightly) and across the world (Entire list of places that recognized gay marriage: Massachusetts, Belgium, Canada, Spain, South Africa... that is it).

    Since we are in the minority it dose not work to go out and say "give us what we want or we will call you names"...

    Californians are not a bunch of backwards hicks, I guarantee you that this initiative got closer to not passing than most anywhere else on the planet, so try to look at it in a more positive light... with another ballot initiative next year the results may be different.
    I'm not trying to convert anyone. It's pointless, people believe what they believe. Nothing I say is going to change what they think. I'm drunk, riled up and still pissed off and deeply dissapointed, so yes venting makes me feel better. Thanks for the gay marriage info, but I hold my state to a higher standard than fucking south africa.
    Last edited by x[method]; 11-05-2008 at 08:16 PM.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,282
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[aries] View Post
    I love you flamer but every time you disagree with someone or a policy or anything you disagree with you end it with, "that someone is retarded or stupid or what not". Have you spoke with your father or mother or anyone other then college friends about their views?
    What you said is true and not true. I do *strongly* overuse the "xxx is fucking retarded" construction, but there are many differences of opinion i do understand and just disagree with. i.e, fiscal conservatives, my posts about obama's economic policy,. I even understand (though strongly disagree) with pro-lifers (as in, IF you believe that life begins at conception THEN abortion is murder and wrong, etc.) This issue irks me in particular because I don't even understand the logic of the other side. Take you for example, Aries....in the words of Avenue Q, "What does it matter to me, what you do in bed with guys!" Hence, the shift into ad hominem. Its like the religious right is simply choosing to be offended by something that has nothing to do with them, which is why (on this issue, and probably most because im relatively anti-religious) I detest them, in the same way that I detest the liberal Politically Correct brigade that looks for reasons to get offended.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sacramento, ca
    Posts
    2,426
    Images
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by x[bodyshot] View Post
    I voted No on 8, but as far as I am concerned you don't have the "right" to marry whoever you want, that is a title bestowed by the government as an extension of the governed... so if the people vote that marriage is between a man and a women then so be it...

    This is not something to be decided by a person in black robes with a big hammer.
    QFT, why I voted yes actually.
    "....everyone wants to come to my house to RAGE."

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by x[bodyshot] View Post
    I voted No on 8, but as far as I am concerned you don't have the "right" to marry whoever you want, that is a title bestowed by the government as an extension of the governed... so if the people vote that marriage is between a man and a women then so be it...

    This is not something to be decided by a person in black robes with a big hammer.
    So, by this logic, marriage did not exist until there was government?

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by x[bodyshot] View Post
    I voted No on 8, but as far as I am concerned you don't have the "right" to marry whoever you want, that is a title bestowed by the government as an extension of the governed... so if the people vote that marriage is between a man and a women then so be it...

    This is not something to be decided by a person in black robes with a big hammer.
    Commendable that you voted no, to be sure, but I've got to call you out here. When the people vote to support and legislate discrimination (think black Civil Rights movement), it's the court's job to step in and put a stop to it. That's what the CA courts did to the last law, and that's what the federal Supreme Court will do -- eventually -- to CA's new amendment.

    Quote Originally Posted by x[lonewolf] View Post
    QFT, why I voted yes actually.
    Quoting for truth that marriage is a title bestowed by the government as an extension of the governed, based on popular vote? And therefore you voted yes because you don't feel that gay people deserve the right? Neat.

    You guys do realize that gay marriage will be legal, country-wide, within 20 years right? And you do realize that there are places (in America (!)) that allow it and the world hasn't ended? And you do realize that gay marriage was legal in your own state before Tuesday. Tell me, what adverse effect did legalized gay marriage have on you or your community?

    Grow up.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,922
    Bottom line, this issue isn't just about gay marriage. It's about keeping government out of the people's personal lives. Sucks that people on this forum don't see that.

  11. #51
    imo obama can thank mtv for his presidency. all the rappers who include obama in their rhymes are just free advertising to the millions of mindless drones who watch that bullshit. they buy whatever the rappers tell em to, drink whatever they tell em to, and vote for whoever they tell em to.


    I just punched a hurricane! WOOOOO!!!!

  12. For anyone interested newsweek has released their special election project on their website. These are always really good and a nice objective look at the entirety of the campaigns. If you are at all into politics it's a very good read.

    This is part one of a seven-part in-depth look behind the scenes of the campaign, consisting of exclusive behind-the-scenes reporting from the McCain and Obama camps assembled by a special team of reporters who were granted year-long access on the condition that none of their findings appear until after Election Day.


    http://www.newsweek.com/id/167582

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by x[ninjax] View Post
    imo obama can thank mtv for his presidency. all the rappers who include obama in their rhymes are just free advertising to the millions of mindless drones who watch that bullshit. they buy whatever the rappers tell em to, drink whatever they tell em to, and vote for whoever they tell em to.
    Dumbest post of all time. Congrats!

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sacramento, ca
    Posts
    2,426
    Images
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyg View Post
    Commendable that you voted no, to be sure, but I've got to call you out here. When the people vote to support and legislate discrimination (think black Civil Rights movement), it's the court's job to step in and put a stop to it. That's what the CA courts did to the last law, and that's what the federal Supreme Court will do -- eventually -- to CA's new amendment.

    Quoting for truth that marriage is a title bestowed by the government as an extension of the governed, based on popular vote? And therefore you voted yes because you don't feel that gay people deserve the right? Neat.

    You guys do realize that gay marriage will be legal, country-wide, within 20 years right? And you do realize that there are places (in America (!)) that allow it and the world hasn't ended? And you do realize that gay marriage was legal in your own state before Tuesday. Tell me, what adverse effect did legalized gay marriage have on you or your community?

    Grow up.

    Nothing. I didn't have any adverse effect. I really could not give two shits if gay people want to get married. Go for it. I voted yes due to the fact that the will of the people DIDN'T want it, voted against it, and it was overturned by 4 liberal judges. Our laws aren't made by judges, but by our legislature and our people. If gay people want the right to marry, then for fucks sake do it the legit way and put it up for vote. I will vote for it then. Majority rules, and going behind my back to get shit done really pissed me off.

    I love your logic though, "you do realize it will be legal in 20 years, right?" So therefore by your logic, I should vote for it now because it will pass in the future? What kind of fucked logic is that?

    Grow up? Just because people have a differing view than you doesn't mean they are being childish. I thought liberals were not supposed to be narrow minded...?
    "....everyone wants to come to my house to RAGE."

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyg View Post
    Dumbest post of all time. Congrats!
    srsly?


    I just punched a hurricane! WOOOOO!!!!

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by x[lonewolf] View Post
    Our laws aren't made by judges, but by our legislature and our people.
    the judges are in place to interpret the laws, and there are checks and balances to make sure minorities do not get bullied by unfair laws.... jim crow?

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    the judges are in place to interpret the laws, and there are checks and balances to make sure minorities do not get bullied by unfair laws.... jim crow?
    which is exactly why 8 will be overturned... eventually.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by x[lonewolf] View Post
    blah blah blah Majority rules blah blah blah
    This is such bullshit and you know it. The courts exist in part to overrule the legislative branch when it overextends its influence. Take a civics class sometime. Or at least google "Tyranny of the Majority".
    I love your logic though, "you do realize it will be legal in 20 years, right?" So therefore by your logic, I should vote for it now because it will pass in the future? What kind of fucked logic is that?
    No, what I'm saying to you and all the other homophobes here is: cling as hard as you want to your fear and bigotry, equality is coming anyway. Your misplaced and illogical ideology may not let you vote to bring it, but it is coming so you may as well start getting used to it.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sacramento, ca
    Posts
    2,426
    Images
    22
    lol alright bud, keep labeling me but that doesn't add any more credence to your arguement, rather it makes you look like an idiot.
    "....everyone wants to come to my house to RAGE."

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,211
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyg View Post
    This is such bullshit and you know it. The courts exist in part to overrule the legislative branch when it overextends its influence. Take a civics class sometime. Or at least google "Tyranny of the Majority".
    No, what I'm saying to you and all the other homophobes here is: cling as hard as you want to your fear and bigotry, equality is coming anyway. Your misplaced and illogical ideology may not let you vote to bring it, but it is coming so you may as well start getting used to it.
    Is the name calling entirely necessary? You've essentially reduced yourself to calling everyone who disagrees with your ideology "fag haters", and is that REALLY how you want your point of view represented? Come on now...


    Out the 100TX, through the Linksys router, down the cable modem, over the tap,

    off the bridge, past the node, straight up the gateway, around the cap, past the head end office....
    Nothin' but 'Net

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Loooong McCain article
    By x[fragnome] in forum Political / Religious B.S.
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 10:10 AM
  2. An Ugly Fact About McCain
    By x[adambomb] in forum Political / Religious B.S.
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 09:28 AM
  3. If McCain Wins... USA is pretty fuxed, IMO
    By Hydrus in forum Political / Religious B.S.
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 10:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •