Thread: Survey Says Microsoft Winning Mac vs. PC Battle

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images

Survey Says Microsoft Winning Mac vs. PC Battle

Laptop hunters is having an effect!

By now we’re very well acquainted with the back and forth game that Apple and Microsoft play with their television ads.

Apple’s ran those “I’m a Mac” ads for years, which hopes to convince the customer that Macs are cool and easy to use, while PCs are for boring accountants who like being riddled with computer problems.

After years of that, Microsoft recently launched a reported $300 million ad campaign that includes the Laptop Hunters television commercial series. The Laptop Hunters series shows fictional – but somewhat realistic – shoppers looking for a notebook. The running theme in each ad is that the MacBook is too expensive and the PC is the better buy.

Those ads are working.

At least that’s the findings of a study done by BrandIndex, who asked 5,000 people whether or not they believe they get good value for their money from a PC or Mac.

Apple had its highest BrandIndex rating in late winter, according to Ad Age, with a score of 70 on a scale of -100 to 100 (zero means neutral). Apple today sits at a much lower rating of 12.4.

Microsoft sat near zero in early February to a value-perception score of 46.2 presently, noted the report.

The shifts found by BrandIndex in value-perception are interesting in that Apple fell as Microsoft rose. Could this be attributed to Laptop Hunters? Perhaps, which also strikes at a particularly price-sensitive time in the consumer market.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/app...ptop,7844.html

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that at least 2 of the laptop hunter series of commercials were filmed at Fry's in Fountain Valley?
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    I believe that, with the recession and all. That being said i bought a macbook pro in january....

"Brand index".... is a lol concept. Quantifying (reported) perception is difficult if not impossible.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[method] View Post
    "Brand index".... is a lol concept. Quantifying (reported) perception is difficult if not impossible.
    In that specific context, yes.

But in general perception of any kind is generally pretty well observed in overall sales.
    Computer Specs:
    Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz @ 4.0GHz
    1. BCLK @ 200
    2. 1.33V
    3. Thermalright Rev C. - idle @ 35c, burn-in @ 72c

ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe
    Corsair DDR3 PC1600 2GB x 3
    eVGA GeForce GTX 465 Core 352 x2 SLI
    2x OCZ 60GB SSD @ RAID 0 (Stripe)
    Silverstone TJ10

Images
    yeah con and the other commercials are a best buy at metro point in costa mesa

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcor3 View Post
    yeah con and the other commercials are a best buy at metro point in costa mesa
    That's what I thought! I wasn't sure because I don't visit that place often.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

LOL. I didn't know Apple still made any kind of computer.

Quote Originally Posted by x[cazter] View Post
    In that specific context, yes.

But in general perception of any kind is generally pretty well observed in overall sales.
    I know that perception (branding) influences sales. My point here is that quantifying perception is a futile exercise and that articles such as these are pure shit.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[method] View Post
    I know that perception (branding) influences sales. My point here is that quantifying perception is a futile exercise and that articles such as these are pure shit.
    Agreed, but the article isn't actually trying to quantify the effect of branding. It is looking at opinions about the actual, differentiated products.

Mac users = Liberalism
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by x[flamer] View Post
    Agreed, but the article isn't actually trying to quantify the effect of branding. It is looking at opinions about the actual, differentiated products.
    It's using something called the "brand index". Which is an oxymoron any way you calculate it imo.

Thread Information