Thread: Terminator: Salvation

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images

Terminator: Salvation

I don't see a thread on this. Let's start one.

I thought the movie was pretty good. The director paid much homage to the first 2 Terminator movies with many scenes, especially the motorcycle scenes.

The movie largely sticks to the timeline of Terminator 2. It explained where that huge scar on John Connor's face came from.

McG also made good use of the "confusion of battlefield" technique pioneered by Saving Private Ryan. The camera followed the characters closely with high shutter speed and no stabilization. It was effective at introducing the 2 main characters of the movie.

I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have high expectation for this movie. I thought it was another "BSG" cyborg who thought he was human twist. But it was not.

The one tiny little question I have was how the hell did Kyle Reese hoist that railcar bogie to the top of the building?
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    It was like meh...

I waited years to see a nutty humans vs machines battle and I don't feel like I have seen it.
    Computer Specs:
    Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz @ 4.0GHz
    1. BCLK @ 200
    2. 1.33V
    3. Thermalright Rev C. - idle @ 35c, burn-in @ 72c

ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe
    Corsair DDR3 PC1600 2GB x 3
    eVGA GeForce GTX 465 Core 352 x2 SLI
    2x OCZ 60GB SSD @ RAID 0 (Stripe)
    Silverstone TJ10

Images
    Thats exactly how I felt when I saw your mom naked for the first time

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[kbot] View Post
    Thats exactly how I felt when I saw my mom naked for the first time
    fixt

Images
    This wasnt the movie that I was waiting for. Its like they got up to the point that I really wanted to see unfold, and then end credits. It sucks when they milk it for a trilogy and you get focus on something when the overall story is so much more compelling. It had it good moments but there were a lot of eye rolling moments too. You dont get the sense of massive battles in the slightest. Everything seems much more skirmish-like as terminators are always shown isolated. The character development leaves much to be desired.

Questions (Spoilers)

1) How is Marcus created prior to the T-800 (Arnold Model), when Marcus is an much more effective infiltrator design?

2) Did they not mention anything about the fact that Johns wife was pregnant? I mean they showed her belly and whatnot, but there was not 1 conversation about the future of humanity bla bla bla.

3) If skynet knows that Kyle Reese is John Connors father, then why the hell do the machines capture him and use him as bait instead of killing him and prevent him from being born?
    Last edited by x[johnblaze]; 05-26-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    I do what I do best, take scores. You do what you do best, try to stop guys like me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[johnblaze] View Post
    This wasnt the movie that I was waiting for. Its like they got up to the point that I really wanted to see unfold, and then end credits. It sucks when they milk it for a trilogy and you get focus on something when the overall story is so much more compelling. It had it good moments but there were a lot of eye rolling moments too. You dont get the sense of massive battles in the slightest. Everything seems much more skirmish-like as terminators are always shown isolated. The character development leaves much to be desired.
    There will be large scale battles in the sequels...

Questions (Spoilers)

1) How is Marcus created prior to the T-800 (Arnold Model), when Marcus is an much more effective infiltrator design?
    Marcus was designed recently (in 2018), probably concurrent with T-800. His body was just frozen after the execution in 2003. Skynet probably found him and decided to run a little experiment.

My question is why not use any one of the human captives as infiltrator units? Why Marcus?

2) Did they not mention anything about the fact that Johns wife was pregnant? I mean they showed her belly and whatnot, but there was not 1 conversation about the future of humanity bla bla bla.
    His child is not important. We haven't thought that far yet.

3) If skynet knows that Kyle Reese is John Connors father, then why the hell do the machines capture him and use him as bait instead of killing him and prevent him from being born?
    Because that will make too much sense.

-- Sledge Hammer

Transforminators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcaNZ4iHSMw

"...and worst of all, eating all of our sand."

silence is golden

Quote Originally Posted by Turin Turambar View Post
    Transforminators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcaNZ4iHSMw

"...and worst of all, eating all of our sand."

hahahaha thats awesome!
    x[cheeze]
    x[ragdoll]

Too much to bother quoting.

I will say that Con always astounds me. There are Big Ass Fucking Machines running all over the place killing shit, motorcycles that crash and then go back to driving again and a john connor who can ninja his way in to skynet central and he wonders how a car got hoisted up.

I read a review or two and was *not* looking forward to watching this movie at all. One particular review complained about how the girl had long hair and how the film went in to slow motion when she took off her helmet and that the slo-mo was done with the sole purpose of appealing to 'that' part of the brain (the whole part?).

His whole review was senseless. what slo motion? I totally enjoyed this movie as it opens things up for some great sequels.

Of course there isn't a massive confrontation - there is hardly a resistance to speak of. It's a bunch of independant splinter cells as well as a bunch of folks who figure if they keep their heads down they'll be ignored.

My guess about Marcus being created first and then the arnold versions is that Marcus was too perfect of a creation. After all, he did choose what side he was on in the end. With the Arnold model they get 100% compliance.

In regards to pregnancy, etc... If you are a woman and are of child-bearing age you should be pregnant. That pilot chick should be pregnant too.. Just tell her its all about the survival of the human race!

My only major gripe is this:

How do the machines know in this timeline that Kyle Reese and even John Connor are threats? I suppose John Connor can be considered a threat because he is a part of resistance leadership.... But Kyle Reese? They have no idea at this point, in this timeline, who John Connor's dad is....

Thoughts?
    Go to work, send your kids to school.
    Follow fashion, act normal.
    Walk on the pavement, watch T.V.
    Save for your old age, obey the law.
    Repeat after me: I am free.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[profetik] View Post

I will say that Con always astounds me. There are Big Ass Fucking Machines running all over the place killing shit, motorcycles that crash and then go back to driving again and a john connor who can ninja his way in to skynet central and he wonders how a car got hoisted up.

I read a review or two and was *not* looking forward to watching this movie at all. One particular review complained about how the girl had long hair and how the film went in to slow motion when she took off her helmet and that the slo-mo was done with the sole purpose of appealing to 'that' part of the brain (the whole part?).

His whole review was senseless. what slo motion? I totally enjoyed this movie as it opens things up for some great sequels.

Of course there isn't a massive confrontation - there is hardly a resistance to speak of. It's a bunch of independant splinter cells as well as a bunch of folks who figure if they keep their heads down they'll be ignored.

My guess about Marcus being created first and then the arnold versions is that Marcus was too perfect of a creation. After all, he did choose what side he was on in the end. With the Arnold model they get 100% compliance.

In regards to pregnancy, etc... If you are a woman and are of child-bearing age you should be pregnant. That pilot chick should be pregnant too.. Just tell her its all about the survival of the human race!

How do the machines know in this timeline that Kyle Reese and even John Connor are threats? I suppose John Connor can be considered a threat because he is a part of resistance leadership.... But Kyle Reese? They have no idea at this point, in this timeline, who John Connor's dad is....

Thoughts?
    Does the TV show tie in to the story line they used? Cause if so then I can answer your questions.
    Computer Specs:
    Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz @ 4.0GHz
    1. BCLK @ 200
    2. 1.33V
    3. Thermalright Rev C. - idle @ 35c, burn-in @ 72c

ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe
    Corsair DDR3 PC1600 2GB x 3
    eVGA GeForce GTX 465 Core 352 x2 SLI
    2x OCZ 60GB SSD @ RAID 0 (Stripe)
    Silverstone TJ10

Images
    I haven't seen the movie though reading all this probably will screw things up but I don't mind.

Kyle Reese? Who is Kyle Reese? I know says one machine, he's just some grease spot that we have under foot come our next assault on them pesky humans. Reese has no bearing with our prime directive. Our main focus is to send our T-800 back in time to kill Sara Conner. Reese is just some freedom fighter fighting along side John Conner in our time so if we send our terminator model back in time we don't haft to worry about anything except the paradox that may ensue after Sara Conner dies.

Terminator 1: For those of you who can't remember the plot and story line of the first Terminator movie you might want to re-rent it or netflix it. Reese was sent back in time to prevent the death of and protect Sara Conner. Just so happens he does a damn good job of it and gets some from Sara in a hotel motel and the seed is born because it's the 80's and no one believes in condoms and also Reese's future is bleak at best at getting laid so why not get some back in time whether it's John's milf or not and besides she's fine as hell in this movie.
    x[clan] 'Gamers with Attitude'

Images

Because a self-aware murderous artificial intelligence capable of designing and building other machines to kill us is totally believable, but a kid hoisting up a rail car bogie is not.

Remember, time travel is easy, but vats in space is just so wrong.

I enjoy Moon Bloodgood in slow motion.

I liked this movie. It was better than I thought. Marcus was the main character in my view. Not John Connor.

Or we can say that Marcus was harder to construct. It's harder to retrofit something than to build a whole new one. Skynet had to retain control on a subconscious level and use Marcus as a recon unit. Marcus also has a fatal weakness with his working heart.

Thoughts?
    That's a good point. How does Skynet know Kyle Reese is important? The original terminator in 1984 didn't know. Neither does T-1000 in 1991. This knowledge has to be either passed down or obtained somehow. And no one knew who John Connor's father was in 2018.

-- Sledge Hammer

Cazter? What's the answer?

cav: seriously, wtf.. She was so not hot in that movie. Big 80s hair.. Uuuuuhg. Now, in terminator 2.... she's totally hittable.

p.s. why not just go back in time and kill kyle reese's father. make the whole thing easy.

Thread Information