Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna be a new daddy!

Quote Originally Posted by x[gunmanelite] View Post
    That PMC Bronze is some good stuff. It's fairly expensive compared to Wolf, but out of 400 rds so far, not one hasn't gone bang.

And I'm a BIG fan of Winchester White Box .45 auto in my XD. I seriously depleted my cache about 2 weeks ago with my old man, so I'm down to 2 boxes of WWB and 20 rds of Federal HydraShok's which are loaded into 2 mags nestled snugly beside my bed.
    I've had more than a couple gunsmiths tell me not to use Wolf ammunition. I'm not smart enough to tell you why, but apparently it fucks your barrel up. Im glad I mainly shoot shotguns lol
    OMGHI2U!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[doublevision] View Post
    I've had more than a couple gunsmiths tell me not to use Wolf ammunition. I'm not smart enough to tell you why, but apparently it fucks your barrel up. Im glad I mainly shoot shotguns lol
    Pretty sure it has to do with a lacquer coating they put on their ammunition. Creates a build-up of residue over time and makes shooting the round stinky and dirty. I don't really know the reasoning behind the coating, other than having anti-corrosion properties? Dunno.

Twitch123 Guest
    Everytime I've fired my piece using Wolf ammo I have had jams after jams. The shit sucks I'll never use it again.

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch123 View Post
    Everytime I've fired my piece using Wolf ammo I have had jams after jams. The shit sucks I'll never use it again.
    Really? Can you provide more details? I don't recall ever having jams than usual while using Wolf or related ammo.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    Never jams in my USP .45...

Twitch123 Guest
    Improper cartridge ejection sometimes requiring me to get out my cleaning rod to knock the cartridge lose. But I use other other ammo brands and it's fine. Maybe I just got a bad batch but I'm not willing to run the risk of getting a squib load and having the barrel explode in my face.

Images
    Improper cartridge ejection sometimes requiring me to get out my cleaning rod to knock the cartridge lose. But I use other other ammo brands and it's fine. Maybe I just got a bad batch but I'm not willing to run the risk of getting a squib load and having the barrel explode in my face.
    You're not the only one complaining of those problems (with Wolf).

x[gunshoot] 2009 ?

that would be....

Images
    What guns/caliber do you guys run into problem with Wolf ammo?

I only use Wolf in my SKS and don't have any problems.

-- Sledge Hammer

Twitch123 Guest
    I used .223 remington in my M4 and I got consistent jams.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    x[gunshoot] 2009 ?

that would be....
    Im down

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    x[gunshoot] 2009 ?

that would be....
    Where could we all go for that? I know up by Calico you can shoot pretty much anywhere legally. Any place closer to SD/LA?

Twitch123 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by x[adambomb] View Post
    Where could we all go for that? I know up by Calico you can shoot pretty much anywhere legally. Any place closer to SD/LA?
    There's an outdoor range in Ramona you can pretty much do whatever you want there. I've personally never seen a ranger or any form of law enforcement up there.

Images
    I used .223 remington in my M4 and I got consistent jams.
    Oh yeah, that's not good. The tolerances are much tighter. Steel may also expand just a bit more than brass, enough to cause a jam.

If you had an AK or SKS, then blast away with the cheap stuff. I don't recall ever seeing a jam between my friend's SKS, AK, and my SKS.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    There's an outdoor range in Ramona you can pretty much do whatever you want there. I've personally never seen a ranger or any form of law enforcement up there.
    Where is that? I might be up for it.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by x[adambomb] View Post
    Never jams in my USP .45...
    not a fair comparison. You can load a rock in that gun and it would fire!
    OMGHI2U!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[doublevision] View Post
    not a fair comparison. You can load a rock in that gun and it would fire!
    Precisely! That's why I bought it. Reliable and well constructed.

I'll try a rock next time at the range. Just no steel rocks.

Images
    Good bit about Wolf brand, here. Funny that they mention your USP, but in a different light :P

Is Wolf-brand (or other steel-cased) .223 ammo okay to shoot in my AR15?

Well, if you didn't start a flame war with the M193 v. M855 question, you have now.

Many former Eastern-Bloc countries use steel ammo casings in place of brass, as the cost of steel is much less. The steel casings would quickly rust if left untreated, so one of four methods is used to treat the steel cases: "copper-washing," lacquer, "nickel" (really zinc) plating, or most recently, polymer coating. Copper-washed ammo is a blotchy bronze color, and usually the entire loaded round is coated, leaving the bullet and case the same bronzy color. Copper-washed ammo is usually only found in the East-Bloc calibers.

Until recently, lacquered cases were the type most commonly found. The outside of the steel case is covered in a grey or green heat-resistant lacquer to inhibit rust. There have been some problems with the lacquer, though, as it tended to leave drips and runs on the cases, which can make extraction more difficult. Until recently, most Russian and Czech-made ammo used this method.

Recently, the Barnaul plant began offering zinc-plated ammo under the name Silver Bear. Aside from some problems with incorrectly-sized cases, this ammo seems to work well, but the zinc process is more expensive, and as a result, the price of the loaded ammo is a little higher.

Most recently (near the beginning of 2004), Wolf announced that their new ammo would be polymer coated. The polymer process leaves smoother cases than the lacquer, but is much less expensive than the zinc plating. To date, no problems have been encountered as a result of the polymer coating, making the new process an overall success.

There have been problems with steel-cased ammo. Through 2002, Wolf ammo came with a thick red sealant around the primer and on the neck of the bullet. This sealant was the cause of many problems, as it would build up and become sticky under high heat, leading to severe extraction problems as cases would literally be "glued" into the chamber. It would also gum up the firing pin channel and bolt face, causing further problems. Wolf wisely dropped the sealant on their .223 ammo in 2003, and reports of problems have dropped off considerably.

There is still some understandable apprehension with using steel-cased ammo in .223. Unlike the Soviet-designed cases, the 5.56 cartridge has very little taper to the case and its length to diameter ratio is very large. The result of this is that 5.56 ammo has more friction during cartridge extraction and comparatively less extractor surface area. This usually isn't a problem with brass cases, but with steel cases, especially lacquer-coated case, stoppages are more frequent. This is likely to due with the difference in expansion/retraction properties between brass and steel.

These problems aren't limited to .223 either, as some guns, such as the HK USP line of pistols, is notorious for having feeding and extraction problems with steel-cased ammo.

Still, the Russian ammo manufacturers have been steadily improving their products, and many have found that problems experienced with older ammo aren't present in the current offerings. Plus, the competition from this bargain ammo helps keep the cost of all .223/5.56 loads reasonable, which is good for all shooters.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[chongo] View Post
    Good bit about Wolf brand, here. Funny that they mention your USP, but in a different light :P
    I honestly can't remember the USP ever having a problem specific to Wolf brand. Heck, out of probably about 1500 rounds put through it, I think I've had maybe one stovepipe jam, and that was with a brass-cased ammo.

The ammo-engine is pretty cool Chongo. I found "Golden Bear" .223 FMJ for $5.69 per 20 last week. It has a lead core too so my range should allow it. I'll report back on quality.

Thread Information