Thread: stay away from Seagate drives

DPRK, Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Images

stay away from Seagate drives

I bought a retail Seagate hard drive from Fry's in 2007. I bought it because of the 5 year warranty. I knew that an OEM drive will not have this warranty so I went to Fry's and bought a retail kit.

This drive broke after 2.5 years.

I went online and couldn't find if it's under warranty on the Seagate website.

I called today and found out it's an OEM drive and Seagate would not honor the warranty. I told the CSR that I still have the retail box with the drive's serial number printed on the outside. He would not budge. He said the system won't let him do anything when he entered this serial number so I'm SOL.

I ask him how the company can sell an OEM drive in a retail box? He said he doesn't know if this box was really from Seagate. I asked him how can his company not honor a retail product. He said I didn't buy it directly from them so he doesn't know if it's a retail drive.

I will never buy another Seagate product again.

I suggest you check your drive's serial number if you buy a retail package, before you open it. If the website can't confirm it, then return it and get a different one.
    Trust me. I know what I am doing.

-- Sledge Hammer

Twitch123 Guest
    Have you thought about going to Frys and asking them what the fuck is going on?

I have nothing but Seagate drives, Only had 1 go bad, called them up and they crossed shipped me one without hassel. I bought mine from Frys and Newegg. It seems someone may have switched out your drive at frys and has nothing to do with Seagate. They can only do what they can, If I were you, Ide talk to Frys if you still have the box as they seem the ones responsable.
    Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.01Ghz|Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima|Crosshair IV Formula|Corsair HX1000w|XFX GTX295|8 Gigs Ripgaws|2X300GB RAID0,1x 500 1x750 Seagate HDDs|Enermax Uber Chakra Case|2x LITE-ON LH-20A1L|2 ASUS VH242HL-P|X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS|Logitech Z-680's

Images
    This is more of an issue with Fry's, and not Seagate.

It's not out of the ordinary to find a lightly used item packaged as brand new. Or opened product resealed without mention. Sometimes, it's bad out of the box and you know they're just going to reseal and shelf it after you bring it back.

It's my biggest peeve when shopping Fry's and it's the reason I spend a little extra and go elsewhere. If the discount is substantial, I'll buy there, but I try not too.

I would not be surprised if someone stuck an OEM drive in that retail box and returned it that way. Just to have a drive that the could RMA in the future.

Images
    The retail box looks to be in perfect shape, sealed with a Seagate sticker that I cut open. The sticker with the drive's model and serial number on the side of the box seems to be in perfect shape, and matches with the sticker of the drive itself. The drive was in original, perfect anti-static bag that I tore open.

I can post pictures if you don't believe me.

If I were to go back to Fry's, why would it do anything for me? I don't have the receipt any more.

-- Sledge Hammer

Twitch123 Guest
    Just having the original box might be good enough do you still have the original price sticker? Also don't forget they can look at past purchases you made there I've done it before. At the very least you can try and figure out what in the hell happened for Seagate to deny you a chance at returning the drive.

Images

Images
    stalk much?
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."

Quote Originally Posted by x[con] View Post
    i bought a retail seagate hard drive from fry's in 2007. I bought it because of the 5 year warranty. I knew that an oem drive will not have this warranty so i went to fry's and bought a retail kit.

This drive broke after 2.5 years.

I went online and couldn't find if it's under warranty on the seagate website.

I called today and found out it's an oem drive and seagate would not honor the warranty. I told the csr that i still have the retail box with the drive's serial number printed on the outside. He would not budge. He said the system won't let him do anything when he entered this serial number so i'm sol.

I ask him how the company can sell an oem drive in a retail box? He said because you are black. I asked him how can his company not honor a retail product. He said because you are black!

I will never buy another seagate product again.

I suggest you check your drive's serial number if you buy a retail package, before you open it. If the website can't confirm it, then return it and get a different one.

fixed!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    fixed!
    rofl
    :notworkin

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[chongo] View Post
    This is more of an issue with Fry's, and not Seagate.

It's not out of the ordinary to find a lightly used item packaged as brand new. Or opened product resealed without mention. Sometimes, it's bad out of the box and you know they're just going to reseal and shelf it after you bring it back.

It's my biggest peeve when shopping Fry's and it's the reason I spend a little extra and go elsewhere. If the discount is substantial, I'll buy there, but I try not too.

I would not be surprised if someone stuck an OEM drive in that retail box and returned it that way. Just to have a drive that the could RMA in the future.
    That shit happens all the time at Frys. I check the hell outta the stuff I buy there. I've bought 3 broken mobo's there in a row once. Literally was there for the same mobo 3 times in 1 day, I was livid.
    Signature

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch123 View Post
    Just having the original box might be good enough do you still have the original price sticker? Also don't forget they can look at past purchases you made there I've done it before. At the very least you can try and figure out what in the hell happened for Seagate to deny you a chance at returning the drive.
    What happened was this "sold as retail" drive turned out to be OEM drive in Seagate's data base. It could be someone made a mistake while entering the original information into the data base.

Somehow I don't believe this is Fry's doing. Someone would need to have this OEM drive at Fry's, locate the correct Seagate box, manufacture a serial sticker complete with bar code, then seal the drive and box to sell it.

That just sounds like OJ looking for the real killer.

-- Sledge Hammer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    fixed!
    Next time, highlight the stuff you fix. I don't have time to read and compare everything.

-- Sledge Hammer

Twitch123 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by x[con] View Post
    What happened was this "sold as retail" drive turned out to be OEM drive in Seagate's data base.
    Well yeah but maybe someone at Frys can help you? If Seagate won't honor the warranty maybe a manager at Frys will?

Thread Information