Thread: Civ 5

Images

Civ 5

anyone pickup civ 5?

Images
    Been wondering the same thing :)

Images
    Yep...I like it, and think it's a nice improvement over Civ 4, which I also liked a lot. There's far less micro-management and the combat system is revamped. No more giant stacks of units steamrolling everything since only one unit can occupy a tile now. It really makes you use some strategy.

If you are a fan of the Civ series then I think you will really like this version. As a disclaimer, I've only played up to about the 1600s (renassaince era?), but everything so far is good to go. Grab it!

Images
    Yea, Chinese Oct. Holiday just started and I picked it up off steam... never a good plan for productivity...
    Good lord are there no good games to play?

Images
    I plan to get it when i get a upgraded system. I've been using this computer for 7 years now and need to get a newer system but i do play civ4 a lot and agree with Adam it still is an awesome game to play not only through it's regular game play but also with all the modifications done by a huge cult following which enriches the game further Civfanactics.com is one such site. I look forward to playing civ5 down the road just not at this time.
    x[clan] 'Gamers with Attitude'

Images
    I've read many reviews--just about all of which are complaining about bugs/glitches and crashes. Anyone having these problems?

Images
    I can't think of a single bug or crash...EVER! Had it since day 1. I'm running on Vista with nVidia card...no issues whatsoever.

Never played Civ but just started playing 5 and love it. No crashes or anything either.
    Last edited by x[phelpz]; 10-01-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Images
    If you are familiar with the Civ series then this will be no big change. The main thing as stated before is one unit per stack. There are 'player' npcs which you can interact with: trade, research and go to war. There are also several 'city states' which you can easily ally with a regular gift of gold to get perks like resources,units, culture and food.

I played an epic game which slows down the era changes and towards the end the AI turns could take awhile (30-45secs). No major bugs found.

The battle units have hit points so battles aren't always all or nothing events.

I wish you could zoom in more. The game has a multiplayer mode, but I don't know anyone who ever had/has the time for these type of epic length games.
    inter arma silent leges

Images
    Never played this series... what style of game is it? Would you compare it to rome total war?
    Computer Specs:
    Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz @ 4.0GHz
    1. BCLK @ 200
    2. 1.33V
    3. Thermalright Rev C. - idle @ 35c, burn-in @ 72c

ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe
    Corsair DDR3 PC1600 2GB x 3
    eVGA GeForce GTX 465 Core 352 x2 SLI
    2x OCZ 60GB SSD @ RAID 0 (Stripe)
    Silverstone TJ10

Images
    There is no cut to battle scenes like in the total war series (and I am eagerly awaiting the redo of Shogun which they are working on now).

It is more focused on building up cities. You can win a cultural victory with only one city (there is a penalty to culture growth with more cities), or you can build troops and conquer. You can only produce one thing per city at a time in Civ. One building, or one worker, or one troop. Everything you build takes some resource to make and maintain. Also the bigger you city gets the more unhappy the people get, and unhappy people greatly reduce city output of resources. So you are forced to build the 'happy' buildings. There is a research tree with around 4 branches that meanders through 7 eras from the stone age to future tech. You can win culturally, via conquest, UN vote, or build a spaceship to the stars.
    inter arma silent leges

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[cazter] View Post
    Never played this series... what style of game is it? Would you compare it to rome total war?
    It's turn-based strategy.

A few other notable differences from Civ 4:

- The addition of ranged combat from the beginning of the game. Your archers can now fire from two tiles away, but are much more susceptible to melee attacks. This makes use of frontline grunts and terrain more important.
    - Citys now have their own "hit points" and a combat rating, and can fire upon approaching enemies. A city without a unit protecting it doesn't get immediatly captured as it did in previous versions.
    - Research is not a function of how much gold you have coming in. They are separate resources and you never find yourself running at 50% research and the like.

Not having to manage 200 units is also a huge plus. Right now I am using only about 30 units on the whole map.

Images
    Have it, but have not played it too much yet.
    No crashes yet.
    Issues:
    Multiple save, restores incorrectly increases save file size. Results in long load times.
    Can't stop the initial intro movie quickly. Sometimes it takes several seconds to abort.
    Custom startup shortcut for DirecXt11 still asks you if you want to use DirectX11.
    x[dmitri]
    Why are we here?
    Because we are here.
    Roll the bones.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[dmitri] View Post
    Can't stop the initial intro movie quickly.
    There is a way, I read in the steam forums.
    inter arma silent leges

Images
    •Navigate to My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/
    •Look for the file "Usersettings.ini" and open it in a text editor like Notepad
    •Search for the variable "SkipIntroVideo = 0"
    •Change the 0 to 1

There will still be a somewhat long load time with a blank screen in place of the disabled movie.

Images
    As a long time civ fan, ive been hemming and hawing about posting about the game, but I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way.

Things I loved:
    - Graphics
    - Hex Grid System
    - New Gamplay Mechanics

Things I really don't like:
    The Crappy AI has actually ruined the game for me. When the AI cant even defend itself much less organize a decent attack, it kills all the fun in the game. When I accidentally leave weak units in range of the enemy I expect to be punished, and when I am not... well its just not a challenge anymore.

The difficulty is way off, I used to never be able to beat above prince (yea i suck), but now I can steamroll all the way up to deity

One unit per Space, conceptually I like it because it focuses on maneuvers and unit placement.. HOWEVER, even a Huge map isnt big enough to allow a lot of free movement. There is never enough space to flank and really move around, which kind of defeats the purpose of the whole experiences.

My biggest issue though. I no longer feel like I am managing an empire, the scale is gone. It feels like an arcade version of a real, complicated, dynamic, and expansive game.

Conclusion:
    Love it, but until the AI gets fixed I am shelving it.
    Good lord are there no good games to play?

Images
    What the shit... I'm a nub, but I play on King cause I can't stand not being challenged. But, I can't figure out how to keep up with the AI tech. Their always so very far ahead of me and I have tried pushing down ever path... from education to military. What's the secret?

But I agree with you. Despite being behind in tech I can often hold out indefinitely because they will, at times, overlook my mistakes. But it doesn't happen often and I always lose.
    Computer Specs:
    Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz @ 4.0GHz
    1. BCLK @ 200
    2. 1.33V
    3. Thermalright Rev C. - idle @ 35c, burn-in @ 72c

ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe
    Corsair DDR3 PC1600 2GB x 3
    eVGA GeForce GTX 465 Core 352 x2 SLI
    2x OCZ 60GB SSD @ RAID 0 (Stripe)
    Silverstone TJ10

Thread Information