Thread: Migrating Programs?

Images

Migrating Programs?

Is there anything reliable out there to migrate programs from 1 comp to another or is that just a foolish dream on my part. New comp is here and its sweet. Problem is I don't want to try to re-install all my Photoshop, Microsoft Office, Outlook Steam etc.

There is LapLink PCMover softeware but again just a mix of horror and fan boi (employee like) commentary?

A lot of that software came from a most famous ftp site but don't think I have the original files to re-load them :).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    The Only Poem a Man should evar know!

Women
    Sometimes I hate Um
    Sometimes I love Um
    If I were a cave man I think I'd just club Um!

:Beat_Them

Images
    i just left that drive alone and windows 7 has an os boot option on loadup.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."

Acronus True Image plus... Image the running drive complete, boot to Acronus boot loader, restore image to differnet computer with different hard drive,MB, CPU, hardware, reboot & let windows find new drivers. It works great!

Images
    That is good to know and good to hear from you. I'll check it out. Do you think it would be an issue with the new comp running windows 7 or would I just reboot XP over the new drives?

I'm still looking into dropping my old drives into the new comp but they are raid 0 ( striped ) and I think I'll loose everything if I screw it up.

Women
    Sometimes I hate Um
    Sometimes I love Um

I imaged my drive on my old Vista64 drive. My old box was an AMD, 8800gtx, with 5 yr old drives & shit. My new machine is an Intel with a SSD primary drive and all the buzzers and bells. I booted my new machine off a USB drive with the boot loader and image on it, restored the image to a virgin SSD drive, rebooted to the new SSD drive. Windows updated all the revised hardware drivers after several reboots. All my programs and stuff off my old Vista box worked fine! I ran Windows 7 ultimate update and bingo new computer and OS with no fuss and no mess. It is a truely amazing peice of software! You have to buy the plus package to get the boot loader, but for me it was worth every penny to not have to reload everything...

Images
    Mr. Noble sir, I like your style.

Going to new egg to order it asap.

Women
    Sometimes I hate Um
    Sometimes I love Um

Images
    I have Windows Home Premium 7 - I am wondering if the Ultiamte has any features that I'll need? I don't think so since you said the system identified the drivers and through a series of reboots brought everything up to speed. The other issue I might run into is that my windows XP is 32 bit operating system so I already know that some of my programs will not port over to new 64 bit system, however the main programs I want to keep are compatible. In this case I think I'll need to image the drive twice, first as is, in case of major failure, and the second with the non- compatible programs erased from the drive.

Can Acronis image a Raid 0, striped drive into a single drive?

Women
    Sometimes I hate Um
    Sometimes I love Um

I dont think you can upgrade the OS from XP 32 bit to Win7 64 bit... I may be wrong. Sliv or one of the x MS guru's can answer that far better than me. Migrating computers is such a pain in the ass... If your using CS5 and have a cuda card in your new macihine you want to reload Adobe anyway. Office is an easy load, just copy-overwrite the Outook file in users/you/appdata/local/outlook to same spot on new drive. Open outlook and all your mail - contact - calandar etc is there, just reset your email data.

Images
    I ordered the 2011 plus pack from newegg and it should be here by Tuesday. Program looks great for back up utlity purposes and I want to try to migrate the programs as well.

Women
    Sometimes I hate Um
    Sometimes I love Um

Thread Information