Thread: The Patch That Changes World Of Warcraft Forever

Images

The Patch That Changes World Of Warcraft Forever

This going to get anyone back into it?

In two weeks, World of Warcraft gains Goblin, Worgen, and a healthy dose of high-end content, but first the world must die. WoW lead systems designer Greg Street talks us through the rebirth of Azeroth coming in tomorrow's massive patch.

Street makes one point perfectly clear: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is not the expansion pack that changes the face of World of Warcraft. Cataclysm brings two new playable races, a level cap raise from 80 to 85, and plenty of high-end content for players of the popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game to spend those five levels on.

It's a big deal, but it's not the end of the world. That happens tonight.

I spoke to Street last week, and at that time the status on the final major content patch before the release of Cataclysm was "Soon (TM)." Now the rumblings of Deathwing's ruinous coming are shaking the entire planet, and players are crowding onto servers to witness the end of days.

"The first thing players will see when logging on after the patch will be Deathwing's cinematic arrival," explained Street. Events in-game have been building to this moment for weeks, and the movie will usher in a new era for Azeroth. "Deathwing has arrived, ravaging Azeroth. The world has completely changed. Hopefully we'll have moved everyone to a safe location."

What happens tomorrow? The mainlands are reborn. The Goblin and the Worgen make themselves known throughout the lands, though players will have to wait until December 7 to play them.

Every starting area has been revamped. The Trolls and Gnomes start in entirely new areas. "It'll be an excellent time to start that alt you've always wanted," says Street. It's the day when class and race combinations are relaxed. Want to be a human hunter? Now's your chance. Have you been dying to play a Gnome priest? There is something seriously wrong with you, but okay! Knock yourself out.

It'll be a big day for World of Warcraft artists as well. They'll be saying goodbye to art they've had to leave in place with every new expansion pack.

"An artist looks at a tree in (Wrath of the Lich King's) Northrend and then goes back to (original game zone) Westfall and thinks, 'I can do so much better than that,'" Street explains. This is more than a chance for players to have new experiences in older zones; it's a chance for artists to bring the old world up-to-date, applying what they've learned in the nearly six years since World of Warcraft was first released.

It's also a chance to change the way the game works. Player characters will now get class-defining talents earlier. In the old game, a player would spend countless levels earning the talents that defined their build. Now a Protection Warrior feels like a Protection Warrior at level 10, and a Shadow Priest can get a head start boasting to everyone how amazing he is.

"There's a lot here for new players, current players - there's a lot for everybody," Street told me. He says that Cataclysm is really two massive expansions in one. You've got this revamp of the entire world, free of charge, and then on December 7 comes two new playable races, along with five more levels and tons of new content to explore.

So what should you do once you log into World of Warcraft tomorrow? Explore. Visit those older zones you've never spent much time in. Silverpine, Azshara; Street says one of the key reasons for the update was to finally make those boring zones more interesting.
    Good lord are there no good games to play?

Images
    I really want to play again... but its so much time I really don't have.

Still undecided.
    Computer Specs:
    Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz @ 4.0GHz
    1. BCLK @ 200
    2. 1.33V
    3. Thermalright Rev C. - idle @ 35c, burn-in @ 72c

ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe
    Corsair DDR3 PC1600 2GB x 3
    eVGA GeForce GTX 465 Core 352 x2 SLI
    2x OCZ 60GB SSD @ RAID 0 (Stripe)
    Silverstone TJ10

lonewolf, bled, and i reupped for Cataclysm. we rolled horde on Tich join us if you are interested. we definitely play on monday nights and a lil on tuesdays. the rest of the week not so much. but if you can play on mon or tues join us. we about to hit 40.

I just punched a hurricane! WOOOOO!!!!

Images
    aye aye!
    "....everyone wants to come to my house to RAGE."

its pretty crazy all the changes they made. barrens has a huge chasm ripped into it. 1k Needles is flooded. Ogrimmar is completely changed. They have seemed to put alot more quests into zones now. maybe its just me but i level wtf fast now.

I just punched a hurricane! WOOOOO!!!!

Images
    yeah they def changed leveling from 1-60, its alot faster
    "i want you to take the frankenstein, the bling, AND the bling bling, and roll it up into a joint"

Images
    Dave and ! have been playing lately to gear up for cata in December. I transfered my main character to dunemaul and switch factions to the horde to play with jiggy and josh that plan to get cata also.
    x[clan] 'Gamers with Attitude'

Images
    So tich or dunemaul? I am just starting up again from long ago...

Thread Information