Thread: Fun...

Images

Images
    Yeah, I've been playing this since beta.

My handle is xprovoker, add me to your contacts :)

My RL friends and I started a clan, let me know if you want an invite. There are only 5 of us and we aren't recruiting, but we always have room for friends.

http://uc.worldoftanks.com/uc/accoun...936-xprovoker/

Also - They are working on their next game called World of Warplanes which will feature biplanes up through the first jets of Korean War era. Supposedly after that is World of Warships. The cool part is you will be able to transfer free experience between World of Tanks and World of Warplanes as well as any gold you purchase applies to both games. I dunno, it is a fairly simple game, but I find it highly addicting. I am pretty sure adambomb and others will want to check out the Warplane game if nothing else :)
    Last edited by x[provoker]; 07-19-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    "When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic"
    Email: provoker@xclan.org XFire: xprovoker

Images
    I looked at some screenshots...do you just drive around in tanks and shoot other tanks? Respawn and repeat? Please explain.

Images
    There are random battles, company battles, clan matches, and special events.

I usually play random battles, which pit 15 tanks versus 15 tanks on a random map. There are ten tiers of tanks, and 5 classes of tank to play within the tiers. Tier 1 is the weakest and 10 is the strongest. You start with tier 1 tank and earn experience by playing in random battles and can upgrade your tank and research the next tank tier. Some tanks have branches where you could research the next tier tank or research an SPG (artillery) or tank destroyer, or move laterally in the tech tree from the heavy tank line to the medium tank line. Also, you earn in game currency called credits, which you use to purchase ammunition, make repairs, and add better modules to your tank once you research them.

So back to battles, you enter a random battle by selecting the tank you want to play from your garage and hit "battle". This adds you to the queue and puts you in a game appropriate for your tank. Newbies always bitch about the matchmaking, but for the most part it does a decent job, IMO. The queue time is usually seconds, and then you're in a game. The timer counts down from 30 seconds and the game begins. Each team has a flag, and you can win the game by either killing all of the enemy tanks, or by capturing the flag. Capturing requires you to enter their flag circle and sit there until the timer is complete. More friendly tanks in the circle equals a faster cap. Enemy hits on your tank within the circle can reset the timer. Once you die in a game, you're out, there is no respawn. You can watch the rest of the match and chat and such, but you are limited to viewing the game from a friendly tank's POV and can't see anything that they can't also see so there is no "ghosting". You can also just exit the battle and queue up on a different tank and rinse/repeat.

You can platoon with friends if you or they have a premium account. Only the platoon leader needs to be premium. Platoons are currently limited to 3 people. Though, they just added the ability for non-premium to create a 2 man platoon. Platoons is the only reliable way to get into games together on the same team.

Company battles are slightly different, but they are also not very popular so you probably won't even play in one.

Clan battles are battles for territory and it is kinda mapped out like Risk where clans can hold territories and fight for others. My clan hasn't done any of this, we're just RL friends that play together. I do have friends in some of the big clans though, and you can step in and fight for them if needed/wanted.

The game is free to try, so you're really not losing anything by checking it out. I just got hooked on it. Simple gameplay, but to me it is more fun and tactical than your average shooter but provides the same kinda of satisfaction. I've never played a shooter (other than TF2 i guess?) where I can wade into a group of 6 enemies and laugh as their shots bounce harmlessly off of my armor while I take them down, one by one like I can with my IS-4 against weaker tanks. It is a pretty nice blend of arcade gameplay with real world physics taken into account. Easy to learn, hard to master.

Images
    Cool, thanks. I'll give it a try.

Images
    Post your handles =p

Images
    My handle is CDCR-Jason .. add me

Images
    Added!

Images
    Added you too.. looks like you've spent a lot of time with the Russian tanks... and suggestion on which line(s) to take for the Rusekies? I pretty much went down the American line.. like them for the most part, but their Heavies plain stink (T1 Heavy is brutal.. and I heard the M6 is bad as well).. I'm gonna Focus on Medium and SPG's when it comes to the USA line.. Heard the Heavy line for the Russians is good. Trying to avoid the obvious German tank line option.

Ah well, off to work.

Images
    Yeah, I played the German tech tree pretty heavily in beta. I liked the Tiger II quite a bit, but I wasn't a fan of the VK4502 and I never got good at the Maus.

German HT tree is splitting in the next patch though, so the Tiger II will lead to the new E75 and E100 tanks. Those two look pretty sweet and it will be interesting to see how they match up.

So in a nutshell, the German strength is armor and main gun accuracy.

American HT strength is the (currently) most powerful main gun and decent speed.

Russians get the balance of both. The IS7 is very quick (50km/h) and has a very strong gun, only slightly weaker than the American T30. Maus gun is the weakest of the three, but has higher accuracy.

As far as leveling up, the Russians are my favorite. You get a heavy tank at T5 just like the US, but in my opinion the KV is far, far better than the T1. The KV3 is stronger than the M6 as well. Germans get stuck with medium tanks for those tiers, but they are actually decent tanks, especially the VK3601H.

T7 is a good tier for US, the T29 is a solid tank with a big gun and when played well, can beat anything of its tier or lower. German Tiger sucks, unfortunately. The Russian IS is also strong and pretty fast, but to take out a T29 you need to have the jump on him or the guy playing it has to be kinda bad.

T8 favors the Russians, but only by a small margin. The Tiger II is a very good tank with an accurate gun. The IS3 is arguably the best of the bunch, but to me it is a tough call. It is faster and has a lower profile than the Tiger II and can mount a larger gun. Most people tend to agree that this is where the US starts to take a back seat to the other factions from here on out. The US tanks mount large guns, but their hull armor is so poor that even T5 tanks can easily penetrate them.

T9 again favors the Russians. Currently their T9 is the IS-4, but that thank is being moved to T10 soon when they split the tree. I personally think it is a better thank already than the IS7. It mounts the 130mm gun and has decent armor and speed. I have overcome ridiculous odds in that tank on several occasions. The German VK4502 is okay, but it is slow, sports a weaker gun, and the armor doesn't really make enough difference. Plus I don't like the rear turret placement when trying to shoot from behind cover.

Medium tanks are another matter, I think all 3 lines are good for different reasons. Most people seem to favor the US Patton, though, and the T54 comes in second. The PantherII is more of a sniper than a brawler, but that gun is surgically accurate.

I can't really say which arty is best at this time, and TDs are still up in the air for me as well.

Thread Information