Thread: Liquid cooling?

Liquid cooling?

Been pondering swapping the outdated CPU fan to liquid cooling. However if I do this, I would also like to cool my video card with. The derp at fry's said no company has made a liquid cooled video card yet and basically I would have to custom fit it. Was he right? School me on a liquid cooled rig fellow basement dwellers.

I just punched a hurricane! WOOOOO!!!!

Images
    liquid cooled video cards run 600 bucks and up right now. Wtf are you planing on doing? Controlling the star ship Enterprise with your rig? I bought a new fan for my comp last week for $35 at frys. I have a gtx 460 and run EVERYTHING full blast with out any issue what so ever... Is there like a dota virtual reality game im missing out on or something ?

Images
    Maybe your building a holodeck in your room. I want 10 minutes with Kate Upton.

Images
    *you're
    "....everyone wants to come to my house to RAGE."

Images
    Go fuck *YOU'RE self.

Eh was just at fry's yesterday and saw a fairly decent liquid cooling setup n was wondering if I could run lines off the pump and kill 2 cooling needs with 1 stone sorta speak.

Images
    I have a liquid cooled system. What do you want to know? It takes patience and some work, but it is doable. I like it. Even though you liquid cool I recommend a compressor to blow the dust out of the cooling fans you will need for the radiators. Mine runs very quiet. I have two radiators (with 5 cooling fans), one for the CPU/MB and another dedicated to video cards. You will need to buy a mb block, cpu block, maybe ram blocks, (but I don't have them, passive radiators might be ok). The video card needs to be stripped to allow for a water block. You will need an anti-static pad to work on so you don't zap your stuff. You need to think about space, e.g. a larger case for the tubes and pumps. The Germans make the blocks and there is a websight that can help you track down the stuff you need. Flow is important. This is my second WC set. Let me know if you want more details.

Why did I do it? I am a bit geeky and I know heat kills systems. I also want the option to overclock. You probably won't see me go extreme with hypercooling (liquid nitrogen and stuff) because that shit is just messy and impractical.
    inter arma silent leges

Ya good info Grendel. I've just had a lot of rigs go sooner than they should from overheating and thought I'd challenge myself and delve into something I've always kinda wanted to do

Images
    Did you really just break out the "liquid nitrogen" reference like that is a real option??? poser...
    Good lord are there no good games to play?

People's Republik of Kalifornia in the Great US Banana Republik
    Images
    Always have been looking at this, but always decided it wasn't the hassle or cost.

Get a good case with lots of silent fans and moves massive amounts of air.
    Use a large CPU heat sink with many large silent fans, assisted by the large amount of air being moved by the case.
    Get a GPU with a big boy cooling solution (lots of options out there now) or buy something from Arctic Cooling.
    Don't be a tool.
    The loudest thing in my computer is my hard drive SPINNING - and the only thing that gets louder is my hard drive accessing.

Images
    What do you mean by "don't be a tool"? It comes across as pretty condescending.
    inter arma silent leges

People's Republik of Kalifornia in the Great US Banana Republik
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[grendel] View Post
    What do you mean by "don't be a tool"? It comes across as pretty condescending.
    Yeah that's my bad.
    I didn't mean:
    Damnit Jerry stop being such a tool >:(
    Meant:
    When purchasing a car you need to approach with a strategy and consider... (...) ... and just don't be a tool :D

Basically, don't listen to what people at Frys have to say, don't buy something from Alienware, don't buy something prebuilt.

There's enough experience on these forums to get most everything squared away.

Images
    Thanks man, we're cool. You are right, you need to do your homework on this and consider what you want at the end. I went through a lot of trial and error before getting to where I am now. I think of it as part need, part hobby [kind of like those tv shows where they restore and collect old classic cars, or boats, or planes..., space shuttle? (^-^)]
    Ninja, I will pm you the longer story and some tips as I don't want to clog this board and also don't want to embarrass myself overtly (emperors new clothes)!
    inter arma silent leges

Images
    Awww... please do post, I am interested in hearing.

Ryan isnt always a total dick!
    Good lord are there no good games to play?

ya post that shit up man. this stuff has really dropped in price and there is some good quality shit out now. i wouldnt listen to anyone at fry's. hence why i came to the one place where i knew i had trusted geeks to listen too

Thread Information