Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BF 4 anyone???

Images
    You can modify your kit in game or in browser. Load times are long, but as I remember from BF2 they were a bit long then as well. Once you are in a server match the loading for the same map is quicker, but a new map is long again. I would recommend a SSD install for this game.

I am enjoying games recently, but starting as a grunt with no knowledge of the maps can be very frustrating. There are a lot of weapon upgrades in this game including scopes, grips, barrels, sights etc, as well a a ton of different weapons you can gain experience to unlock. They even have different melee weapons, but I have yet to see if that has any difference.

The game heavily favors teamwork and I highly recommend playing voip with friends as the random squads have little cohesion.

The mp server interface is ok. What I would have liked to see is a refresh timer/counter showing the last time available servers were refreshed. I also would have liked to see servers that restrict ranking of players, or the ability to filter for it, especially at low level. A newby playing against up to ranked 50+ (already) led to some abuse of my keyboard at times. Not good for my heart!

I lament the loss of random maps SOF2 had, but understand it was never popular among the memorization TF2 type crowd that is in the majority. Destructible environments help though.

It is a fun game. You can hide the chat if you can't tolerate the childish rants.

Remember to spam the Q key!
    inter arma silent leges

Images
    Load times to initially join a server take a while for me, maybe 30 seconds of sitting at the browser with the blue ticker-tape thing on the bottom saying loading, joining, etc.
    Once I am in the game, load times are pretty fast. I have an SSD, so maybe that makes the difference. I am usually one of the first people in the game when the round starts.

The starting weapons for all classes are good except for the Engineer (IMO). Better yet, they all come with a reflex site and some basic mods. From there, though, every upgraded gun you unlock starts with iron sights. You get random battlepacks as you rank up that contain random unlocks for guns and camo, so you might get lucky and get a cool optic for a future gun so it is good to go when you unlock it.

Carbines, shotguns, and DMRs are all universal once unlocked. You just need to get 3 unlocks as Engineer to get the carbine, and the first one (ACW-R) is also arguably the best one anyway. The carbines have basically the same stats as assault rifles with slightly less range. It makes the engineer much more fun to rank up than being stuck with PDWs, unless you like those :P

I found a hardcore server the other day that is 24/7 locker map. I am not a huge fan of it (think Metro from BF3), but since it is tight quarters and infantry only, it is a VERY good way to get your expert assault and support badges if you desire the unlocked guns from the assignments. Just spam medkits/ammo and don't suck and you can get that achievement quickly.
    "When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic"
    Email: provoker@xclan.org XFire: xprovoker

Images
    I am trying really hard to like this game, but finding the play style and grind needed to get the needed perks and weapons tiresome. Also the game freezes up for no apparent reason in the middle of conflicts (and this is a game beaker for me), teams have no skill basing at all making many contests one sided and either a walk through or a spawn death fest. Like I mentioned before squad teamwork and cooperation is a necessity and I just don't have the time to waste hoping for a good squad. To see lvl 61 players a month after release makes me feel the same way I did in WoW. Stupid needless grinding. The advantage goes to those with the perks and map knowledge, but I don't want to put that effort in. I also don't feel like buying a new video card and HDD just for THIS game. (A high performance mouse, a joystick, a high hertz monitor, a twitchy finger and a fridge stocked with RedBull helps, along with perhaps playing in the beta where you could learn how to use all the perks and the map layouts).

This game series has devolved into a COD clone that just doesn't deliver the fun factor I had come to love in the series. It fosters frustration, anger, resentment and rewards pettiness, exploits, cheating, bullying, taunting and gaming the system.

If I am going to put in the time and effort my time is better spent in ARMA3. Where all the weapons are unlocked and the skill you need isn't your speed of finger or your pocketbook, but the grey mass between your head. (having little orange triangles so you can know where and who to shoot along with

I guess I am getting old, but I don't like the way I feel after playing this game. I don't like my racing heartbeat, my residual anger which lingers and perhaps most of all my feelings of ineptitude.
    inter arma silent leges

Images
    grendel, you should give hardcore servers a try.

The minimap is turned off, no red triangles over spotted enemies, and no crosshairs. There are still the twitchy gamers and such, and other frustrations since team damage is turned on. I got the premium for the DLCs and it includes a bunch of XP boosts. Most of the guys that are really high level probably had the same. I have played a decent amount and am level 30 or 31 and have most of the best weapons and all of the kit abilities for every class unlocked. The grind isn't too bad, but I think playing on HC servers helped me out since I can't stand spending an entire magazine to kill an enemy.

Images
    Add me! xtig3r

Yeah I mainly play on Hardcore servers. I only have the base BF4 game, waiting till more bugs get worked out before I upgrade to premium. Fun game! Crashes a lot, but when it works its a blast. I usually jump on a few times during the week (sometimes on the weekend). I don't have a mic, but I'll probably buy a headset soon. Hit me up! I think im under xProwler_MD or xpr0.. or something like that.

Images
    add me xthorazine. play alot on lockers and west coast conquest servers
    :notworkin

Images

Images
    I hate this shit game. More specifically I hate how it is addictive. How the creators expertly used addictive psychology to keep the gamer satisfied enough, but not quite, like a rat given a nibble of food reward or a shock to run a maze: gift rewards in battle packs, community missions, level ups, guns and accessories based on how you much you kill with them. All things that at one level that can enhance game play and help maintain interest in a game.

But then there is the dark side of focusing on revenue streams, creating elite members based on how much money they spend. Player exploiters, griefers, cheaters, and hacks that ruin the game experience. A battlefield that is unbalanced by player rank, skill level, hardware, constricted boundaries. Maps that have you tripping over 6" obstacles, invisible walls, bunny hopping. Teams which act like lemmings. It kind of reminds me of the original Star Trek episode Day of the Dove http://www.hulu.com/watch/283811#i0,p60,d0

Most of all I hate myself for my addiction. How it negatively affects my health, my personal relationships, and my self esteem.

I apologize for this rant, and hope you all can forgive me for my weakness.
    Last edited by x[grendel]; 02-28-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Images
    Grendel add me on origin? xsliverx

pinging bodyshot... you know you wanna. :>

Images
    Uninstalled.

I just don't like anything about this game. Will not be purchasing another DICE product. COD and Battlefield type games just make me angry. I get no joy playing them. Just sick of having to compete with ppl with higher frame rates, glitchers, hackers, sadists, and pile on teams. I don't like even being on the winning side anymore. Chat is just full of whiners and taunters. I really didn't enjoy BF3 all that much to think of it. The game mode is based on tempting people to level up in order to unlock perks and weapons so you can kill other people easier. It might work from a marketing standpoint, but really sucks in life experience. I don't want to feel upset after playing a game. I don't want to rage quit when the guy who has some omniscient ability to out aim, out spot, out twitch, or just plain hack kill me.

I won't go so far as to say I wasted my time playing this game. It was a learning experience. I needed to get into the game deeply in order to see how it affected me as a human being and I just didn't like the type of guy I was after playing.

I am not done with FPS shooters/simulations though. I like the idea behind ARMA3 and will see if I can get into it more. It definitely is more team-cooperation focused and much less the self aggrandizing ego fest the other games are.

I would welcome comments from people who do enjoy BF4 and COD and what it is exactly you find enjoyable about playing them.
    inter arma silent leges

People's Republik of Kalifornia in the Great US Banana Republik
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by x[grendel] View Post
    Uninstalled.

I just don't like anything about this game. Will not be purchasing another DICE product. COD and Battlefield type games just make me angry. I get no joy playing them. Just sick of having to compete with ppl with higher frame rates, glitchers, hackers, sadists, and pile on teams. I don't like even being on the winning side anymore. Chat is just full of whiners and taunters. I really didn't enjoy BF3 all that much to think of it. The game mode is based on tempting people to level up in order to unlock perks and weapons so you can kill other people easier. It might work from a marketing standpoint, but really sucks in life experience. I don't want to feel upset after playing a game. I don't want to rage quit when the guy who has some omniscient ability to out aim, out spot, out twitch, or just plain hack kill me.

I won't go so far as to say I wasted my time playing this game. It was a learning experience. I needed to get into the game deeply in order to see how it affected me as a human being and I just didn't like the type of guy I was after playing.

I am not done with FPS shooters/simulations though. I like the idea behind ARMA3 and will see if I can get into it more. It definitely is more team-cooperation focused and much less the self aggrandizing ego fest the other games are.

I would welcome comments from people who do enjoy BF4 and COD and what it is exactly you find enjoyable about playing them.
    Scrumptious update.
    Probably a symptom of getting older and not wanting to deal with the bullshit.
    There are always other games that are less aggravating and full of shitheads.

Will be interesting to see if anyone still plays.

Images
    I still play. Only play hardcore 64 conquest. All servers have admins, cheating is scarce. I usually fly solo or with 1 or 2 others and play sniper almost exclusively.
    Love c4'n armour, jihad jeeps and double tappin my dmr. Moved on from the srr61 because it was easy mode. the only thing that pisses me off is the littlebird with an engy.
    rarely care about points or objectives.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."

I still have it installed and will be jumpin back into playing...hell maybe tonight. Fun game and like Jenny said I only really enjoy playing Hardcore. Seems like the servers are better managed with admins to limit cheating and keep everyone on the up and up.

Fun game! My favorite is close action sniping....reminds me of back in the day with the AWP and counterstrike.

Images
    I still play, though the 14.1 AMD drivers caused the game to crash (ati64dxx.dll issue). I saw jenny on one of the servers I play regularly, but he ignored my many attempts to communicate :)

I only play HC as well, but like several different play styles. I think that is why I like the game so much despite its issues. I like that I can snipe, run&gun, or dominate in my little bird all in the same round.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4.../242322394/pc/

Images
    wtf
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."

Thread Information